It was recently opined here that it is not the job of a reporter to
challenge dogma. This was followed up with another opinion: That the job of
a reporter is to find and present facts - that science reporters should find
and present scientific fact.

Personally, I think challenging dogma IS one of the many jobs that an
investigative journalist performs. Actually, I would like to believe it's
the job of everyone to challenge dogma whenever they see it. Of course, one
person's perception of "fact" often turns out to be another person's
perception of "dogma", and, oh, what a squabble that can produce betwixt us
all.

Regarding journalism, the Society of Professional Journalism (the SPJ) has a
lot of interesting things to say about the code of ethics that investigative
journalists should follow. For details see:

http://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp

While on the subject of the ethics of investigative journalism, and for a
more controversial debate concerning the limits of "Cotcha" investigative
journalism, here is an article about a former ABC producer, Linne Dale, who
performed an undercover investigation of a company called Food Lion, and the
company's illegal practices which were endangering public health. The ABC
article when it eventually aired helped destroy the company, but not after a
protracted and expensive battle spearheaded, of course, by Food Lion's legal
team. The doomed company attempted to obfuscate and deflect the original ABC
claims by claiming fraud, trespassing and breach of loyalty. Most curiously,
they did not pursue libel. Fortunately, for the sake media freedom, Food
Lion's tactic didn't work:

http://rsjsoup.ning.com/profiles/blogs/the-ethics-of-investigative

But getting back to the SPJ web site, a lot of sensible things are listed
out there. Good sensible things that every investigative journalist ought to
ponder carefully before practicing their trade. Incidentally, while
pondering the dos and don'ts of investigative journalism nowhere did I read
a commandment stating that those who pursue this profession should not
challenge dogma.

Actually "challenging dogma", isn't what really piqued my interest. What
piqued my interest was wondering if anyone here really believes they have
the right to determine for everyone else what "dogma" is versus what is
"scientific fact."

It seems to me that the polarity of perception, when placed on a scale where
"dogma" resides at one end and "scientific fact" the other, often boils down
to a difference of opinion. All too often when opposing opinions, including
those of a journalistic nature, perform battle in the arena the results tend
to generate a lot of rancorous debate, acrimony, hard feelings, broken
friendships and strained alliances.

What is often missed in the ensuing battle for dominance is the fact that
ALL opinions, no matter what position they take, end up getting bruised and
lacerated by the same double edged sword. This double edged sword is more
often than not powered by the seductive emotions of outrage. The seductive
double edged sword of outrage doesn't care whose opinion is being
slaughtered. It simply strikes. It strikes repeatedly because it is
addictively delicious to do so.

I know that I am not immune to the sword's seductive power. I constantly try
to remind myself of a concept attributed to another learned man whose
credentials remain steeped in mythology: Let he who is free of imperfection,
let he who knows he has freed himself from the clutches of dogma and the
seductive emotions of outrage cast the first strike. At times I know I have
failed miserably when I struck out at others when perhaps I should have held
my tongue, and pen. At least I try to be aware of the sword's seductive
presence in my life. That's half the battle.

In conclusion, I could speculate that there might be a few lurking within
the catacombs of the Vort Collective who may try to interpret the content of
my little essay as possessing "hidden" meanings - or that I really meant to
say this, or that, yadda, yadda, yadda. It was intentional on my part to
remain neutral. Often there is no right or wrong answer. There are only
actions and the consequences of those actions. It's best to make them those
actions count.

Regards,

Steven Vincent Johnson

www.OrionWorks.com