On Mar 27, 2010, at 12:19 PM, OrionWorks - Steven Vincent Johnson wrote:

[snip his thoughtful essay on the ethics of journalism and our behavior on vortex-l]

Regards,
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com
www.zazzle.com/orionworks

Thank you Steven for your informative and salving post.

Discussion of list behavior and its impact on the list it seems to me is always on topic, especially when things go off the deep end. When that happens I think everyone shares to some degree in the responsibility, even if only through inaction, and the loss.

I would like note there was an appeal to the rules By Steve Krivit. For that reason maybe it is appropriate to simply post the rules set down by the moderator, Bill Beaty, and located at:

http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/weird/wvort.html

Notice especially the sneering rule! Sneering might be easily dismissed as undetectable and thus the rule unenforceable, but snearing is readily detected by the collective consciousness of those on this list, and the moderator in particular!

Begin quote of Bill Beaty's material:
William J. Beaty
6632 Corson Ave S
Seattle, WA 98108
206-543-6195 USA

Vortex-L Rules:

  1. $10/yr donation
  2. NO SNEERING
  3. KEEP MESSAGES UNDER 40K
  4. DON'T QUOTE ENTIRE MESSAGES NEEDLESSLY
  5. DON'T CC OTHER LIST SERVERS
  6. NO SPAMMING

1. If VORTEX-L proves very useful or interesting to you, please consider
   making a $10US/yr donation to help cover operating expenses.  If you
   cannot afford this, please feel free to participate anyway.  If you
   would like to give more, please do!  Direct your check to the
   moderator, address above.

2. NO SNEERING.   Ridicule, derision, scoffing, and ad-hominem is
banned. "Pathological Skepticism" is banned (see the link.) The tone
   here should be one of legitimate disagreement and respectful debate.
Vortex-L is a big nasty nest of 'true believers' (hopefully having some
   tendency to avoid self-deception,) and skeptics may as well leave in
disgust. But if your mind is open and you wish to test "crazy" claims
   rather than ridiculing them or explaining them away, hop on  board!
MORE (please read.) [appended below]

   (For a good analysis of the negative aspects of skepticism, see
   ZEN AND THE ART OF DEBUNKERY at http://amasci.com/pathskep.html)

3. Small email files please.  The limit is set to 40K right now, those
   exceeding the limit will be forwarded to Bill Beaty.  Some
   members are on limited service, or have to pay for received email.
   Diagrams and graphics can be mailed to me or John Logajan and posted
   on our webpages for viewing.

4. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE: when you reply to a message DON'T include the
   ENTIRE message in your reply.  Always edit it a bit and delete
   something.  The entire message should only be included if: (A) you
are replying to a message that is many days old, or (B) you are doing a point-by-point reply to many parts of a message. Many vortex users
   must pay by the kilobyte for receiving message traffic, and large
   amounts of redundant messages are irritating and expensive.  So,
when including a quoted message in your reply, ALWAYS DELETE SOMETHING,
   the more the better.

5. Please do not include any other email list in the TO line or the CC
   line of your messages to vortex-L.  In the past this has caused
   storms of "thread leakage" between lists and redundant messages as
replies from subscribers go to both lists. It's OK to manually forward mail from other lists to vortex-L, as long as the TO line and CC line
   has only vortex-L and no other list.

6. "Junkmail" email advertising will not be tolerated. While not illegal
   yet, widecasting of junk-email ads to listservers is against the
Unwritten Rules of the Internet. Anyone who spams vortex-L with junkmail
   will be referred to the Internet Vigilante Justice team.  ;)
Occasional on-topic advertising by long-time vortex-L users is acceptable.

   - Bill B.

THE VORTEX-L DISCUSSION GROUP

To put it bluntly, Vortex-L is a forum for "true believers."

Skeptics are tolerated but not welcomed.  For yet another definition of
the two types of people, see the excellent article in a recent issue of
SKEPTIC, V5 #2, "Skepticism and Credulity: finding the balance between
Type I and Type II errors" by B. Wisdom.

The article discusses the philosophy behind two types of mental attitude:

1. 'Scoffers:' those who, in order to reject all falsehoods, don't mind
      accidentally rejecting truths.

   2. 'Believers:' those who, in order to accept all truths, don't mind
      accidentally accepting falsehoods.

A few people fall between these two descriptions.  However, there is
significant polarization as well: whose who are solidly in one camp or
the other greatly outnumber those who succeed in remaining between the
two.

I have observed that each highly-polarized camp holds great disrespect
for the other, bordering on hatred.  The Scoffers regard the opposite
camp as dangerously gullible "true believers" who would allow science to
be damaged by irrational beliefs in things such as UFOs, psi phenomena,
Free Energy, etc. And the Believers regard the other side as dangerously
closeminded "pathological skeptics" who stifle curiousity, block free
investigations, and "preserve" science from the crazy time-wasting
projects of folks like Galileo, Goddard, the Wrights, Margulis, etc.

A few years ago the sci.physics.fusion newsgroup was increasingly becoming a battleground for the two types. Those who reasoned that "we must study
cold fusion because there is some evidence that it is real" were
constantly attacked by those who believe "we must reject cold fusion
because there is little evidence for it."  And vice versa.  Particularly
shameful was the amount of hostility including sneering ridicule,
emotional arguments, arrogant self-blindness, and great use of the low,
unscientific techniques outlined in ZEN AND THE ART OF DEBUNKERY.
(See http://amasci.com/weird/wclose.html)

I started this group as an openminded "quiet harbor" for interested
parties to discuss the Griggs Rotor away from the sci.physics.fusion
uproar.  It quickly mutated into a "believers forum" for discussion of
cold fusion and other anomalous physics.  I created Rule #2 to prevent
this list from becoming another battleground like the sci.physics.fusion
newsgroup.  Vortex-L is intended to be a discussion area for researchers
who practice extreme openmindedness and who will "accept falsehoods in
order to avoid rejecting truths".

I believe that many scientists reject new ideas because they unknowingly
maintain an illusory worldview which is based on concensus of colleagues
rather than upon evidence, and as a result they become irrational.  They
are very intolerant of ideas which violate that consensus, and will reject evidence supporting them. This forum is for those with a low tolerance for
consensus-think and a high tolerance for "crazy ideas."

Vortex-L is for those who see great value in removing their usual mental
filters by provisionally accepting the validity of "impossible" phenomena in order to test them. This excellent quote found by Gene Mallove clearly states the problem, and reveals the need for "true believers" in a science
community otherwise ruled by conservative scoffers:

"It is really quite amazing by what margins competent but conservative
  scientists and engineers can miss the mark, when they start with the
preconceived idea that what they are investigating is impossible. When
  this happens, the most well-informed men become blinded by their
  prejudices and are unable to see what lies directly ahead of them."
   - Arthur C. Clarke, 1963

So, on Vortex-L we intentionally suspend the disbelieving attitude of
those who believe in the stereotypical "scientific method."  While this
does leave us open to the great personal embarrassment of falling for
hoaxes and delusional thinking, we tolerate this problem in our quest to
consider ideas and phenomena which would otherwise be rejected out of hand without a fair hearing. There are diamonds in the filth, and we see that
we cannot hunt for diamonds without getting dirty.

Note that skepticism of the openminded sort is perfectly acceptable on
Vortex-L. The ban here is aimed at scoffing and "hostile disbelief," and
at the sort of "Skeptic" who angrily disbelieves all that is not solidly
proved true, while carefully rejecting all new data and observations which
conflict with widely accepted theory.

SYMPTOMS OF PATHOLOGICAL SKEPTICISM         (c)1996 William J. Beaty
THIS PAGE: http://amasci.com/pathsk2.txt
MAIN PAGE: http://amasci.com/weird/wclose.html

Many members of the mainstream scientific community react with extreme
hostility when presented with certain claims.  This can be seen in their
emotional responses to current controversies such as UFO abductions, Cold Fusion, cryptozoology, psi, and numerous others. The scientists react not
with pragmatism and a wish to get to the bottom of things, but instead
with the same tactics religious groups use to suppress heretics: hostile
emotional attacks, circular reasoning, dehumanizing of the 'enemy',
extreme closed-mindedness, intellectually dishonest reasoning, underhanded
debating tactics, negative gossip, and all manner of name-calling and
character assassination.

Two can play at that game! Therefore, I call their behavior "Pathological
Skepticism," a term I base upon skeptics' assertion that various
unacceptable ideas are "Pathological Science."  Below is a list of the
symptoms of pathological skepticism I have encountered, and examples of
the irrational reasoning they tend to produce.

  (Note: all the quotes are artificial examples)

1. Belief that theories determine phenomena, rather than the reverse.

"The phenomenon you have observed is impossible, crazy stuff. We know
    of no mechanism which could explain your results, so we have grave
suspicions about the accuracy your report. There is no room for your
    results in modern theory, so they simply cannot exist.  You are
    obviously the victim of errors, hoaxers, or self-delusion.  We need
not publish your paper, and any attempts at replicating your results
    would be a waste of time.  Your requests for funding are misguided,
    and should be turned down."

2. Erecting barriers against new ideas by constantly altering the
   requirements for acceptance.  (A practice called "moving the
   goalposts.")

"I'll believe it when 'X' happens" (but when it does, this immediately
    is changed to: "I'll believe it when 'Y' happens.")

    Example:
"I won't believe it until major laboratories publish papers in this field. They have? That means nothing! Major labs have been wrong
      before.  I'll believe it when stores sell products which use the
effect. They do? That means nothing, after all, stores sell magic
      healing pendants and Ouija boards.  I'll believe it when a Nobel
      Prize winning researcher gets behind that work.  One has?  Well
      that means nothing!  That person is probably old and dotty like
      Dr. Pauling and his vitamin-C..."   etc.

3. Belief that fundamental concepts in science rarely change, coupled
with a "herd following" behavior where the individual changes his/ her opinions when colleagues all do, all the while remaining blind to the
   fact that any opinions had ever changed.

     "The study of (space flight, endosymbiosis, drillcore bacteria,
      child abuse, cold fusion, etc.) has always been a legitimate
      pursuit.  If scientists ever ridiculed the reported evidence or
      tried to stop such research, it certainly was not a majority of
scientists. It must have been just a few misguided souls, and must
      have happened in the distant past."

4. Belief that science is guided by consensus beliefs and majority rule,
   rather than by evidence.  Indulging in behavior which reinforces the
   negative effects of consensus beliefs while minimizing the impact of
   any evidence which contradicts those beliefs.

"I don't care how good your evidence is, I won't believe it until the
      majority of scientists also find it acceptable.  Your evidence
      cannot be right, because it would mean that hundreds of textbooks
      and thousands of learned experts are wrong.

5. Adopting a prejudiced stance against a theory or an observed phenomena
    without first investigating the details, then using this as
    justification for refusing to investigate the details.

      "Your ideas are obviously garbage.  What, try to replicate your
      evidence?  I wouldn't soil my hands.  And besides, it would be
a terrible waste of time and money, since there's no question about
      the outcome."

6.  Maintaining an unshakable stance of hostile, intolerant skepticism,
and when anyone complains of this, accusing them of paranoid delusion.
    Remaining blind to scientists' widespread practice of intellectual
suppression of unorthodox findings, and to the practice of "expulsion
    of heretics" through secret, back-room accusations of deviance or
    insanity.

"You say that no one will listen to your ideas, and now the funding for your other projects is cut off for no reason? And colleagues
        are secretly passing around a petition demanding that you be
removed? If you're thinking along THOSE lines, then you obviously
        are delusional and should be seeking professional help."

7. Ignoring the lessons of history, and therefore opening the way for
   repeating them again and again.

     "Scientists of old ridiculed the germ theory, airplanes, space
     flight, meteors, etc.  They were certain that science of the time
     had everything figured out, and that major new discoveries were no
longer possible. Isn't it good that we researchers of today are much
     more wise, and such things can no longer happen!"

8. *Denial* of the lessons of history.  An inability to admit that
science has made serious mistakes in the past. Maintaining a belief that good ideas and discoveries are never accidentally suppressed by
    closed-mindedness, then revising history to fit this belief.

     "Throughout history, the *majority* of scientists never ridiculed
flying machines, spacecraft, television, continental drift, reports
      of ball lightning, meteors, sonoluminescence, etc.  These
      discoveries are not examples of so-called 'paradigm shifts', they
are obvious examples of the slow, steady, forward progress made by
      science!"

9. Using circular arguments to avoid accepting evidence which supports
   unusual discoveries, or to prevent publication of this evidence.

    "I do not have to inspect the evidence because I know it's wrong.
     I know it's wrong because I've never seen any positive evidence."

    "We will not publish your paper, since these results have not been
     replicated by any other researchers.   We will not publish your
     paper, since it is merely a replication of work which was done
     earlier, by other researchers."

10. Accusing opponents of delusion, lying, or even financial fraud, where no evidence for fraud exists other than the supposed impossibility of
    evidence being presented.

"Don't trust researchers who study parapsychology. They constantly cheat and lie in order to support their strange worldviews. Very
       few of them have been caught at it, but it's not necessary to do
so, since any fool can see that the positive evidence for psi can
       only be created by people who are either disturbed or dishonest.

11. Unwarranted confidence that the unknown is in the far distance, not
    staring us in the face.

     "Your evidence cannot be real because it's not possible that
     thousands of researchers could have overlooked it for all these
years. If your discovery was real, the scientists who work in that
     field would already know about it."

12. Belief that certain fields of science are complete, that scientific
    revolutions never happen, and that any further progress must occur
    only in brushing up the details.

      "Physics is a mature field.  Future progress can only lie in
increasing the energies of particle accelerators, and in refining
       the precision of well-known measurements.  Your discovery cannot
be true, since it would mean we'd have to throw out all our hard-
       won knowledge about physics."

13. Excusing the ridicule, trivialization, and the scorn which is directed
    at 'maverick' ideas and at anomalous evidence.  Insisting that
    sneering and derisive emotional attacks constitute a desirable and
    properly scientific natural selection force.

      "It is right that new discoveries be made to overcome large
      barriers.  That way only the good ideas will become accepted.
If some important discoveries are suppressed in this process, well, that's just the price we have to pay to defend science against the
      fast-growing hoards of crackpots who threaten to destroy it."

14. Justifying any refusal to inspect evidence by claiming a "slippery
slope." Using the necessary judicious allocation of time and funding as a weapon to prevent investigation of unusual, novel, or threatening
    ideas.

      "If we take your unlikely discovery seriously, all scientists
everywhere will have to accept every other crackpot idea too, and
       then we'll waste all of our time checking out crackpot claims."

15. A blindness to phenomena which do not fit the current belief system,
    coupled with a denial that beliefs affect perceptions.

    "Thomas Kuhn's 'paradigm shifts' and sociology's 'cognitive
dissonance' obviously do not apply to average, rational scientists. Scientists are objective, so they are not prone to the psychological failings which plague normal humans. Scientists always welcome any data which indicates a need to revise their current knowledge. Their
     "beliefs" don't affect their perceptions, scientists don't have
     "beliefs", science is not a religion!

16. A belief that all scientific progress is made by small, safe, obvious steps, that widely-accepted theories are never overturned, and that no
    new discoveries come from anomalies observed.

     "All your observations are obviously mistakes.  They couldn't
      possibly be real, because if they were real, it would mean that
      major parts of current science are wrong, and we would have to
      rewrite large portions of we know about physics.  This never
      occurs.  Science proceeds by building on earlier works, never by
      tearing them down. Therefore it is right that we reject evidence
      which contradicts contemporary theory, and recommend that funding
      of such research not be continued."

17. Hiding any evidence of personal past ridicule of ideas which are later
    proved valid.  Profound narcissism; an extreme need to always be
    right, a fear of having personal errors revealed, and a habit of
    silently covering up past mistakes.

      " X is obviously ridiculous, and its supporters are crack-
        pots who are giving us a bad name and should be silenced."

    But if X is proved true, the assertion suddenly becomes:

       "Since 'X' is obviously true, it follows that..."

18. Belief in the lofty status of modern science but with consequent
blindness to, and denial of, its faults. A tendency to view shameful
    events in the history of modern science as being beneficial, and a
    lack of any desire to fix contemporary problems.

      "It was right that Dr. Wegner's career was wrecked; that he was
treated as a crackpot, ridiculed, and died in shame. His evidence
       for continental drift convinced no one.  And besides, he did not
       propose a mechanism to explain the phenomena."

19. A belief that Business and the Press have no tendency towards close-
    mindedness and suppression of novelty, and that their actions are
    never are guided by the publicly-expressed judgement of scientists.

"If the Wright Brothers' claims were true, we would be reading about
      it in all the papers, and flying-machine companies would be
      springing up left and right.  Neither of these is occurring,
      therefor the Wright's claims are obviously a lie and a hoax.

20. Refusing to be swayed when other researchers find evidence supporting
    unconventional phenomena or theories.  If other reputable people
change sides and accept the unorthodox view, this is seen as evidence
    of their gullibility or insanity, not as evidence that perhaps the
    unconventional view is correct.

      "I'll believe it when someone like Dr. P believes it."

     But when Dr. P changes sides, this becomes:

"Dr. P did some great work in his early years, but then he destroyed
       his career by getting involved with that irrational crackpot
       stuff."

21. Elevating skepticism to a lofty position, yet indulging in hypocrisy
and opening the way to pathological thinking by refusing to ever cast
    a critical, SKEPTICAL eye upon the irrational behavior of scoffers.

     "Criticizing skeptics is never beneficial.  It even represents a
      danger to science.  One should never criticize science, it just
gives ammunition to the enemy; it aids the irrational, anti- science
      hoards who would destroy our fragile edifice."

22. Belief that modern scientists as a group lack faults, and therefore
clinging to any slim justifications in order to ignore the arguments
    of those who hope to eliminate the flaws in Science.

"I think we can safely ignore Thomas Kuhn's STRUCTURES OF SCIENTIFIC REVOLUTIONS. Despite his physics training we can see that Kuhn was
     an outsider to science; he obviously doesn't have a good grasp on
real science. Outsiders never can see things in the proper positive
     light, it takes a working scientist to see the real situation.
Also, he stressed his central themes way too much, so I think we can
     ignore him as simply being a sensationalist.  And besides, if he's
digging up dirt regarding science, then he must have a hidden agenda.
     I bet we'll find that he's a Christian or something, probably a
     creationist."

23. Blindness to the widespread existence of the above symptoms.  Belief
    that scientists are inherently objective, and rarely fall victim to
these faults. Excusing the frequent appearance of these symptoms as
    being isolated instances which do not comprise an accumulation of
    evidence for the common practice of Pathological Skepticism.

     "This 'Pathological Skepticism' does not exist.  Kooks and
      crackpots deserve the hostile mistreatment we give them, but
      anyone who does similar things to skeptics is terribly misguided.
Those who criticize skeptics are a danger to Science itself, and we
      must stop them."

See also:

    Zen and the art of debunkery, Dan Drasin
    http://amasci.com/pathskep.html

    Seven Warning Signs of Bogus Skepticism
    http://mathpost.la.asu.edu/~boerner/seven%20warning%20signs.html
End quote of Bill Beaty's material: