At 04:19 PM 3/27/2010, OrionWorks - Steven Vincent Johnson wrote:
It was recently opined here that it is not the job of a reporter to challenge dogma. This was followed up with another opinion: That the job of a reporter is to find and present facts – that science reporters should find and present scientific fact.

It's tricky. Facts challenge dogma. Or confirm it. A science reporter should report discovered fact whether it challenges dogma or not, according to the interests of the "market," the audience for the reporter. The market for honest reporters is those who will rely upon the reports, so it's very important that the reporter be neutral. And that can be difficult. Nevertheless, this is the task of a journalist.

Personally, I think challenging dogma IS one of the many jobs that an investigative journalist performs.

Only in the way I've described. When the reporter becomes attached to some "alternate dogma," -- which might simply be the reporter's own opinion, informed or otherwise -- it is not the job of the reporter to promote that alternative to "challenge dogma." The reporter has become the story, has lost neutrality.

Neutrality does not mean that the report abandons personal conclusions. It does not mean ignoring the obvious. But it does mean allowing the reader to discriminate, to present to the reader the sources for the journalist's opinion, in balance. Balance means that if sources of similar probity exist that support the other side (than the reporter's opinion), the reporter will present those as well. Strong personal bias on the part of the reporter can cause a failure of the reporter to even notice the other sources; the same traps that cause anyone to become biased can happen to a reporter.

Actually, I would like to believe it's the job of everyone to challenge dogma whenever they see it. Of course, one person's perception of "fact" often turns out to be another person's perception of "dogma", and, oh, what a squabble that can produce betwixt us all.

It's not as difficult as it seems. Attribution and fidelity to source can work miracles. Krivit, the unfortunate occasion for this discussion, reports his opinion and his interpretations as fact, and loses attribution. Obviously, the topic of whether or not fusion is taking place is a controversial one, with controversy even among experts professionally qualified to judge. Because Krivit lost his balance, he misrepresents what the "fusion" camp believes and reports, and he misrepresents the evidence. And that's been shown, I believe, clearly.

It has nothing to do with dogma. If he were doing the same thing on the fusion side, I'd be similarly offended. I have made statements about Widom-Larsen theory that may be incorrect, I may have erred in presenting it. But I do not present myself as an expert, and I'm largely depending on Krivit's statements about it. I depend on others here to find and correct my errors. I'd say that, in a year, I've become somewhat "familiar" with this field, and part of how I've done that is by sticking my foot in my mouth, and saying what I think, it is one of the fastest ways to learn. I need to be corrected when I make mistakes.

I have lots of questions about Widom-Larsen theory, and if "fusion" is the dogma -- and I'll say that it is now, among the workers in the field, an accepted theory as an explanation for excess heat, without being specific about the exact fusion mechanism -- then is W-L theory a challenge to the dogma? Part of the problem with Krivit is that he places W-L theory in opposition to some "fusion" theory, but all his presentation of the "fusion theory" is of straight deuterium, two deuteron, fusion, which then sets up a straw man that is easy to knock down with all the arguments of 1989. However, the 1989 rejection, we are now confident, was premature. If it is possible that there are other nuclear explanations than straight deuterium fusion, then it is also possible that there is some as-yet-not-understood mechanism that might allow straight deuterium fusion. Such as, say, a quantum mechanical phenomenon that distributes the energy of a reaction across a crystal, similar to the Mossbauer effect. Don't mistake this for a proposed theory of mine! It's just an example, which can be shot down, as can just about every theory, if we assume that we understand well what happens in the condensed matter environment.

Turns out that we don't.

But it would indeed be Krivit's job to present W-L theory, so that we understand it. And, remarkably, he does not seem to be doing that. Instead, he's impeaching the character and probity of the bulk of the cold fusion research "establishment." He's attacking the alleged dogmatists, not the dogma, and he shouldn't even attack the dogma. At least not as a reporter who would have a right to be trusted when he reports on what we don't know!

Investigative reporting is a difficult field, where the edges of journalistic ethics are approached. I would prefer to not even call these people reporters, they are investigators, researchers. They are *creating* a story. In writing about cold fusion "dogma," Krivit has become a kind of researcher, and should no longer be considered an objective secondary source. He's writing opinion papers, and, unfortunately, he doesn't seem to understand the material, and that's become very obvious from the errors he made, some of these were blatant errors that he had heavily committed to, making accusations about the openness and honesty of a researcher based on his own misunderstanding. He should have apologized profusely, and more, he should have looked at what was causing him to so quickly conclude that there were shenanigans taking place. That's what bias can do to you.

Regarding journalism, the Society of Professional Journalism (the SPJ) has a lot of interesting things to say about the code of ethics that investigative journalists should follow. For details see:

<http://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp>http://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp

While on the subject of the ethics of investigative journalism, and for a more controversial debate concerning the limits of "Cotcha" investigative journalism, here is an article about a former ABC producer, Linne Dale, who performed an undercover investigation of a company called Food Lion, and the company's illegal practices which were endangering public health. The ABC article when it eventually aired helped destroy the company, but not after a protracted and expensive battle spearheaded, of course, by Food Lion's legal team. The doomed company attempted to obfuscate and deflect the original ABC claims by claiming fraud, trespassing and breach of loyalty. Most curiously, they did not pursue libel. Fortunately, for the sake media freedom, Food Lion's tactic didn't work:

<http://rsjsoup.ning.com/profiles/blogs/the-ethics-of-investigative>http://rsjsoup.ning.com/profiles/blogs/the-ethics-of-investigative

But getting back to the SPJ web site, a lot of sensible things are listed out there. Good sensible things that every investigative journalist ought to ponder carefully before practicing their trade. Incidentally, while pondering the dos and don'ts of investigative journalism nowhere did I read a commandment stating that those who pursue this profession should not challenge dogma.

That's a misunderstanding of what's being said. The work of reporters can and will challenge some dogma. But challenging dogma isn't the purpose of reporting; when it is, that's where we get a kind of sensationalism. A good reporter neither challenges nor supports dogma, but presents material of interest, in balance.

Actually "challenging dogma", isn't what really piqued my interest. What piqued my interest was wondering if anyone here really believes they have the right to determine for everyone else what "dogma" is versus what is "scientific fact."

I don't believe that, for one. However, I don't particularly have a difficulty in understanding the difference. They are not at all the same thing. Dogma is a kind of belief, accepted without question by some. It is *never* a fact, it is, rather, a kind of organizer of fact, and a way of interpreting fact.

However, this is where they get confused. What is the difference betweeen a "fact" and a "scientific fact"? The latter term can be used to refer to dogma, and people do that. "It is a scientific fact that the Earth is round." Technically -- and this is extreme, now -- that's not a scientific fact, it is, rather a theory that is so strongly supported by "fact" that it isn't questioned but by very few now. It has become dogma. Now, if the job of reporters is to challenge dogma, should they do some investigative reporting to "challenge the dogma"? I don't think so! But if they find facts that do have that effect, of course they should report them (if they are relevant to their field of work).

By "scientific fact," however, I prefer to mean the body of data that has been collected by "scientists," who are the real "investigative reporters." Data, not theories and conclusions. However, routinely, we do allow some level of filtering and organization by the "investigative reporters," the scientists. When a scientist does this to prove a personal point, we recognize this as Bad Science, the scientist has lost neutrality. It happens. So, loosely, there is a level of interpretation in what we would accept as "scientific fact." When a scientist runs a cold fusion experiment, say looking for excess heat and helium, the truest "scientific facts" are the raw experimental data, the account of what was done and what was observed. It's my opinion that, with the internet, all this should be published. Warts and all. But for a "paper," the scientist will interpret the data, following accepted procedures, ideally, not some new innovation, unless the innovation is reported well enough for anyone else to come up with the same results from the same raw data.

The ENEA paper that Krivit had a field day with used a 24 MeV value for the ratio of excess heat to helium measurement, in order to plot the results from two measures on the same chart. Given that there is a reasonable hypothesis out there, widely accepted, that the actual Q value is close to that, it was a figure of interest, but the paper did not attempt to do what Krivit claimed, try to prove 24 MeV, and, in fact, the data point that fell right on 24 MeV was probably there because of coincidence and very wide error margins. It was the weakest measurement reported. Krivit presents this as if it were being claimed as a proof of 24 MeV. In attempting to recalculate the values, Krivit made a number of errors and became completely confused, and all this has been pointed out, yet he still confidently presents this paper and this result as an example of the dogma he's challenging. It was just a handy and informative conversion factor, allowing a single y-axis to present data from two connected results.

Does the paper support 24 MeV? A little. Not that result, the one that was so noisy (because the excess heat was low and so was the helium), but the other two. Krivit completely misses the point.

And this is not an isolated incident.

It seems to me that the polarity of perception, when placed on a scale where "dogma" resides at one end and "scientific fact" the other, often boils down to a difference of opinion. All too often when opposing opinions, including those of a journalistic nature, perform battle in the arena the results tend to generate a lot of rancorous debate, acrimony, hard feelings, broken friendships and strained alliances.

A scale with "opinion" on one end and "scientific fact" on the other is an interesting idea. I'm having some trouble applying it, though. If I'm confused about the difference between opinion and fact, I don't know myself. Sure, it happens, which is why it's an interesting idea. The scale is one of how confused someone or some idea is. What is really being approached here is differences of opinions, with one opinion asserting itself as "scientific fact," and the other opinion makes the same claim!

Step above this dispute and see two dogmas battling it out! Can we all step above this dispute? I think so. Where do we start?

Well, there are two approaches. One is to explore the facts, find out what facts are mutually accepted. If we are arguing, one source may be that we are accepting different sets of facts. What facts can we agree on? Is "cold fusion" a fact? Of course not! It's a high-level abstraction, it cannot be directly observed and reported, except through a long series of assumptions. What we might accept, though, is the body of experimental results. We might want to except certain ones, and there is plenty of room for disagreement there. If we disagree on what should be rejected, we should then explore the facts behind that!

Simultaneously, there is an exploration from the other end, which is the exploration of belief. If we are having an argument, we should try to make sure that we understand what it's about! As part of that, I should be able to, ideally, state your opinion so well that you would say, "Yes. That is what I believe." If I can't, it should be in serious doubt that I understand what I'm arguing against. I learned this from a minister who was teaching a class on Islam that I found out about and attended. I'm an expert. He was quite good, and he told me that this was his goal. Did we have any arguments? No. We probably could have found some by trying hard. And then we might have had an even more interesting discussion!

Krivit does not appear to understand the general fusion hypothesis as widely accepted in the field. What he states isn't what is believed. He's attacking a straw man, but what is damaging is that, to the general public, and in particular to scientists who are quite reasonably skeptical, he's being read as having reversed his position as a notable "advocate" for cold fusion, and he's now showing that the whole "cold fusion" establishment is just "true believers." These scientists can read Krivit's report, and quite possibly, detect that he is only hand-waving when he proposes W-L theory, for he doesn't present it in such a way as to make it intelligible. So what they walk away with is a confirmation of what they believed all along. "They are all crazy." They don't get the evidence behind Krivit's claim that "But it *is* LENR." Because Krivit is so busy impeaching the strongest of it, which is not "proof of 24 MeV" but correlation of excess heat with helium within a factor of two or so of 24 MeV.

And that is a result without significant variation across the entire body of experimental evidence we have. With proper qualification -- I'd really want to see more secondary review of this -- this is a "scientific fact." The *meaning* of it is another thing. Cold fusion is so strong as an explanation of this heat, even without knowing the mechanism, that is is almost dogma now, but a very diffuse dogma. It certainly isn't a dogma that the reaction is straight deuterium fusion! I don't believe that, and few do. But, again, I'd want to see a secondary review of the field of theory, more has been published since Storms, 2007,an overview. I should see what Krivit has written!

But I'd much rather see something by a theoretical physicist published in an appropriate journal under peer review. Some of the theories are extremely difficult to understand for a layman. I have more background than Krivit, and I don't have a background even close enough to have an opinion on some of these. I have a friend who is a quantum physicist and I asked him to look at one paper. No comment so far. This is difficult stuff.

What is often missed in the ensuing battle for dominance is the fact that ALL opinions, no matter what position they take, end up getting bruised and lacerated by the same double edged sword. This double edged sword is more often than not powered by the seductive emotions of outrage. The seductive double edged sword of outrage doesn't care whose opinion is being slaughtered. It simply strikes. It strikes repeatedly because it is addictively delicious to do so.

Yeah, that happens.

I know that I am not immune to the sword's seductive power. I constantly try to remind myself of a concept attributed to another learned man whose credentials remain steeped in mythology: Let he who is free of imperfection, let he who knows he has freed himself from the clutches of dogma and the seductive emotions of outrage cast the first strike. At times I know I have failed miserably when I struck out at others when perhaps I should have held my tongue, and pen. At least I try to be aware of the sword's seductive presence in my life. That's half the battle.

Sure. But then there is the other half.

In conclusion, I could speculate that there might be a few lurking within the catacombs of the Vort Collective who may try to interpret the content of my little essay as possessing "hidden" meanings - or that I really meant to say this, or that, yadda, yadda, yadda. It was intentional on my part to remain neutral. Often there is no right or wrong answer. There are only actions and the consequences of those actions. It's best to make them those actions count.

I take it straight. I don't see any "hidden meanings." However, that does not mean that there is no right or wrong answer. To examine that, we'd first need to ask what the question is!