-----Original Message-----
From: Jed Rothwell

> I think the role of deuterium is unclear. But the fact that hydrogen does
not poison the  reaction has to mean something. Right? Don't ask me what!
Ask 3
theoreticians and you will get 5 answers.

Well - one of the reasons is fairly obvious from the fact that Patterson was
using what we now call a "codeposition" plating process - where only D2 was
absorbed initially.

If loading was complete at the end of the plating stage, and only D2 was
absorbed, then this would tend to keep any later poisoning minimal, but
progressive - even when light water was used during the electrolysis.

This goes along with Craven's observation of progressive degradation of the
excess heating effect, over time.

Jones