Steven Vincent Johnson wrote:

So, for those who truly  wish to
> reduce the amount of energy expended on lighting the answer may  not be
> to ban old-fashioned incandescent bulbs, as is the current  trend, but to
> make them compulsory.

I have no idea what the last sentence means. Make WHAT compulsory? Making the use of incandescent light bulbs compulsory???? Are they serious????

Perhaps it is satire, like Frederic Bastiat's suggestion in 1863 that windows be banned to increase the sale of candles. That was coming from the other direction -- a mock suggestion to improve employment -- but the logic is similar:

"The Candlemakers’ Petition

We candlemakers are suffering from the unfair competition of a foreign rival. This foreign manufacturer of light has such an advantage over us that he floods our domestic markets with his product. And he offers it at an absurdly low price. The moment this foreigner appears in our country, all our customers desert us and turn to him. As a result, an entire domestic industry is rendered completely stagnant. And even more, since the lighting industry has countless ramifications with other national industries, they too are injured. This foreign manufacturer who competes with us without mercy is none other than the sun itself!

Here is our petition: Please pass a law ordering the closing of all windows, skylights, shutters, curtains, and blinds­that is, all openings, holes, and cracks through which the light of the sun is able to enter houses. This free sunlight is hurting the business of us deserving manufacturers of candles. Since we have always served our country well, gratitude demands that our country ought not to abandon us now to this unequal competition.

We hope that you gentlemen will not regard our petition as mere satire, or refuse it without at least hearing our reasons in support of it.

First, if you make it as difficult as possible for people to have access to natural light­and thus create an increased demand for artificial light­will not all domestic manufacturers be stimulated thereby? . . ."

See also his proposal to build a negative railway, consisting of nothing other than gaps. This was in response to a proposal in the French Assembly that the Paris-Madrid railroad include a gap at Bordeaux in order to enrich porters, hotelkeepers and others.

As Johnson points out here, the mistake here is in thinking there is an infinitely large demand for light, and that people will keep buying more and more of it. The demand for any good or service is limited, although some businessmen and economists seem to believe otherwise. They have the odd notion that people will purchase ever increasing amounts of entertainment (movies, video games), internet bandwidth, housing floorspace, and even food.