Frank Znidarsic wrote:

Down goes the Rail Car Shop today Sept 2010. Hundreds of good jobs that are now forever lost. Increased efficiency, foreign competition, restructuring. In other works no job no more.
A story that repeats acorns this nation.  How is Obama going to fix this?

Obama isn't going to fix this, and neither are any Republicans. People do not take this problem seriously yet, and there is no public support a solution.

I can understand your concerns about foreign competition and restructuring. As Terry pointed out, for some reason policy makers think it is good idea for us to buy all of our rail-cars from overseas, which is a disgrace. The other day on "60 Minutes" they mentioned that all of the large electric power generators are now made overseas. That's astounding! The U.S., of all places, does not make heavy electric equipment?!? Edison must be spinning in his grave. (Presumably at 3000 rpm.)

I can relate to these concerns but do you really want to add "increased efficiency" as a problem? That is a Luddite policy. It can never work in the long term.

On the web page you wrote:

"The remains of the Berwin White coal processing plant in Windber. At one time the local mining industry mining employed 25,000. . . ."

We don't want coal. It would be better if we could shut down the whole industry, replacing it with nuclear power and wind power. That might increase empoyment somewhat, but it would be better still if we could replace it with cold fusion, which will eliminate 99% of energy-related employment.

"The remains of the sprawling Bethlehem Steel Plant. At one time this plant employed 18,000. I worked for a time in the Open Hearth at Bethlehem. The pay was good. Picture shows the wheel plant. Where did the industry go?"

You know where it went. Overseas to some extent, but much more importantly, steel mills are far less labor intensive than they used to be. Automation, more than anything, eliminated those jobs. But even if it were possible, would you bring those jobs "back" and have people do make-work jobs that machines can do better?

It is a dilemma with no easy solutions. As I remarked here before, in the early 20th century we started to deal with it by reducing the work week and instituting Saturdays off, but the reforms faltered. We need things like long European vacations. Eventually, just about everyone will have to a permanent vacation, as I said.

I think automation and technology are also contributing factors to the increased income inequality in the U.S. and Japan. This topic is featured in Slate magazine today. I have been worried about it for some time. See:

http://www.slate.com/id/2266025/entry/2266026/

The original Luddite movement was in opposition to water-powered spinning frames, introduced in the first phase of automating the fabric industry.

George Gordon (Lord Byron) spoke out against them eloquently in the House of Lords, in a speech should haunt us all to the present day:

<http://www.luc.edu/faculty/sjones1/byspeech.htm>http://www.luc.edu/faculty/sjones1/byspeech.htm

QUOTE:

". . . The rejected workmen, in the blindness of their ignorance, instead of rejoicing at these improvements in arts so beneficial to mankind, conceived themselves to be sacrificed to improvements in mechanism. In the foolishness of their hearts they imagined that the maintenance and well-doing of the industrious poor were objects of greater consequence than the enrichment of a few individuals by any improvement, in the implements of trade, which threw the workmen out of employment, and rendered the labourer unworthy of his hire. . . ."