Frank Znidarsic wrote:

Jed, by efficiency, I was referring to the efficiency of the low paid worker.

Ah, that would be cost efficiency.

You are off on the robot thing.  Here is the real story.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-21077763.html

QUOTE: "Trinity Industries officially dedicated its new carbuilding plant at Monclova, Mexico, on July 2, and the president of the republic, Ernesto Zedillo Ponce de Leon, was on hand to lead the ceremonies. Trinity said its subsidiary, Trinity Industries de Mexico, had already built 650 grain cars for export to the U.S. this year . . ."

You gotta have mixed feelings about this:

On one hand it seems that without trade protectionism we are headed for third world status. I hate to see American workers having to compete with Chinese and Mexican workers. I have no problem with protectionism; it seems to work well in Japan. Consumers pay more for gadgets. But you can be sure that every single generator and rail car is made there! Although there are an awful lot of cheap Chinese goods in Japanese stores these days . . .

On the other hand, I would like to see all those Chinese and Mexicans come up to our level of income. How are they going to do except by building modern factories? I guess what I would like to see is Mexicans building grain cars for use in Mexico.