I meant that all institutions are subject to CHANGE (not chance). I cannot
blame voice input for that error. I typed it.

All institutions are also subject to chance developments that no one can
predict, and also to inexplicable human whims and irrationality. See the
history of WWI, for example. Even as events unfolded in 1914, it seemed
senseless. Most Europeans could not tell what was happening, or what the
cause of the war was. In retrospect, the biggest cause appears to be train
schedules. The German generals had the notion that once they set their war
machine in motion and began moving troops rapidly on trains, they would
automatically win the war quickly if they stuck to the predefined schedule,
or lose if they faltered. Other people then and now thought this was crazy,
but the generals believed it. Modern generals and politicians believe
equally crazy ideas, as we saw in the war in Iraq.

- Jed

Reply via email to