At 08:28 PM 2/6/2011, Harry Veeder wrote:
Based on this google translation it seems the Italian Committee Against the Claims of the Paranormal is seeking to discredit Rossi et al. http://translate.google.ca/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=it&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.net1news.org%2Fcorsa-alla-fusione-fredda-litalia-passa-il-testimone-alla-grecia.html http://tinyurl.com/6za8ler harry

They keep repeating this "violates the laws of physics" crap. It is impossible to say that an "unknown nuclear reaction" violates the laws of physics, unless the reaction is specified adequately to apply the laws!

With Pons-Fleischmann cold fusion, at least, there was an understandable if totally-stopid-in-hindsight assumption that the reaction was d-d fusion, but even there, the claim that d-d fusion under P-F conditions was impossible was not based on sound physics, because there was obviously, if this was real, something not understood. The same "impossible" claim could have been made about muon-catalyzed fusion, before it was theorized and verified. If MCF had been discovered first, experimentally, the same pronouncement of "impossible" would have been possible on the same basis (failure to consider a possible catalyst that overcomes the Coulomb barrier).

My own operating assumption has become that the reaction is not "d-d" fusion, for all the obvious reasons. But "fusion" it is, we know by the fuel and the ash, deuterium and helium, and all the flapping about transmutation and neutrons is just fluff. Minor. Not part of the main show. Krivit's nonsense about neutron absorption, with the neutrons being made from deuterium, not being "fusion" is semantic quibbling. The reaction is one which *accomplishes* fusion, mechanism unknonw.

Why is neutron activity not part of the main show? I can't actually say with complete certainty that it isn't. It's just extraordinarily unlikly, because of reaction rate considerations, multiple miracles required, and other expected effects from such that are not observed. The concept of gamma suppression by heavy electrons, an effect that has no known experimental support, with the suppression being *almost perfect,* would be, itself, a major discovery, of vast importance. Not seen, not observed, no confirmation at all. Widon-Larsen theory only matches a piece of the experimental evidence, and not the rest.

If we have a black box into which deuterium flows and inside the box, deuterium is broken into protons and neutrons, and the neutrons proceed through some pathway to create helium, and helium flows out of the box, and 24 MeV of energy is released, we have a "fusion box." It looks like a duck, it acts like a duck, and it smells like a duck. It's a duck!

So the claim of Widom and Larsen, and of Krivit, that if W-L theory is correct, it's not "fusion" is just bogus polemic, intended to sanitize the image of cold fusion -- and, by the way, quite recognized as such by critics of cold fusion. It doesn't work except transiently with a few people.

Instead, because we do know that P-F activity is turning deuterium into helium, because the signature energy is observed and the product is observed correlated with that energy, very strongly, it's time to simply call it "cold fusion." LENR is a field that is broader, and which may encompass completely different reactions, some of which might not be fusion, i.e., might not be synthesizing higher-Z elements as ash. More likely, though, the possible other reactions being observed through unusual products, are from rare branches or secondary reactions; if fusion is taking place, energy is being released that can, under some conditions, do Other Stuff.

The Hagelstein limit of 20 KeV for charged particle products from the P-F effect does not prohibit minor side-effects and branches, because, in fact, what Hagelstein notes as missing is not *entirely* missing, the observed levels are simply way too low for high-energy CP radiation to be a normal product of the main reaction. In the case of tritium, as the most prominent example, there is plenty of tritium found, it's not artifact, at least not all the time, but -- this was an early argument that tritium findings must be artifact -- the level of tritium is far, far too low to explain the excess heat through fusion to tritium. Tritium and excess heat, according to Storms, are not well-correlated.

I'm amazed that Krivit is making all this fuss about Rossi, who may turn out to be fabulously wealthy, or who may end up broke and discredited, who may have originated some idea or may have stolen it, or may have simply figured out a way to generate a lot of heat for a short time from a black box, contents not disclosed, with or without some nuclear reaction, but, as far as I can tell, Krivit has not covered, at all, the Naturwissenschaften review, "Status of cold fusion (2010)", Storms (2010), a mainstream-published peer-reviewed extensive review of the field of "cold fusion," named such, without shame, which is perhaps the most important event of the last decade in the history of cold fusion, unless Rossi turns out to be real CF, which remains quite speculative. The review is a breakthrough, as to acceptance.

What has been the reaction to this review? Has Krivit asked the major critics of CF to comment on it? No, he's busy navel-gazing, Krivit has become the story, Krivit and his Amazing Adventures Among Fanatics. The Naturwissenschaften review is not linked in his Recent Papers page, http://www.newenergytimes.com/v2/reports/SelectedPapers.shtml. Instead, we have, as the most recent important paper, Srivastava et all, "A primer for electroweak induced low-energy nuclear reactions/" W-L theory, which practically nobody else is taking seriously, which presents speculations as if they were established facts, and which completely ignores the obvious objections to W-L theory.

According to the paper, if ULM neutrons are formed, they will be 100% absorbed, which seems reasonable. However, as they state, a "plethora of nuclear reactions are thereby possible." To get to helium, as one example, they propose Li-6 + n -> Li-7, Li-7 + n -> Li-8, Li-8 -> Be-8 + e + neutrino, and, of course, then Be-9 -> 2 He-4. What is wrong with this picture?

Whatever is happening in CF cells, the rate is very low, and products other than helium and energy are *rare*. So the rate of the complete series is low. If, however, intermediate products do not high-rate convert to the next stage, they will remain. The reaction describes what must be *two* rare reactions, in series, neutron absorption by lithium. If neutron flux were high enough to ensure substantial conversion of all the Li-7 to Li-8, it would be high enough to produce hosts of other effects. Instead, we must recognize that the rate of the second reaction would be similar to that of the first, excepting only the capture cross-section difference between the two nuclei.

And what happens to the Li-7 that would necessarily predominate as a product?

Srivastava et al conclude:

The analysis presented in this paper leads us to conclude that realistic possibili- ties exist for designing LENR devices capable of producing `green energy', that is, production of excess heat at low cost without lethal nuclear waste, dangerous °-rays or unwanted neutrons. The necessary tools and the essential theoretical know-how to manufacture such devices appear to be well within the reach of the technology
available now. Vigorous e®orts must now be made to develop such devices whose
functionality requires all three interactions of the Standard Model acting in concert.

Now, the missing context: nobody has confirmed one single prediction from W-L theory. There are no published reports of excess heat optimized by devices designed to confirm W-L theory and to use it for development. Prediction is the whole purpose of the development of theory, yet there is no record of confirmation of the theory, it's completely missing. Could W-L theory explain Rossi? Sure, but that hasn't actually been done, and there is way too little information about Rossi's approach. The concluding comment above is preposterous, unless, of course, there is something under development that has not been announced.

One of the critical aspects of W-L theory is glossed over in the paper: the absorption of gammas by heavy electrons, i.e., an assumption that gammas would be *100% absorbed* -- or almost so -- by the same heavy electrons that allegedly allow neutron formation. At one point, Larsen was asked by Garwin about experimental evidence for this effect, and Larsen's answer, upon probing by Krivit -- he used to actually do some serious investigative reporting -- was that this was proprietary information.

In other words, W-L theory is being proposed publicly, without revealing the alleged experimental basis. And Krivit, instead of noticing the obvious, concludes that W-L theory is rejected because everyone else "believes in" d-d fusion. Krivit has generally confounded "d-d fusion" with "deuterium fusion," the former being a specific class of mechanism, the latter being a result, not a mechanism at all. Krivit lost it, making his "bold reports," became highly involved and attached to his own views of the field and of the people involved, and failed to maintain his independence. And refused to recognize this when people started warning him, and started bailing out from supporting him.

I predict this: W-L theory will be forgotten, like the other huge pile of CF theories that failed to make accurate predictions. I see in the Srivastava paper, not one proposed test of the theory, not one falsifiable specific prediction. Could this be the basis of later theory? Maybe. But it is far from what we would need to engineer better devices, and that this statement about such devices was allowed in the paper demonstrates, to me, inadequate peer review.

In this, Larsen et al are like Rossi: the core of the work, if it exists, is hidden, for commercial advantage. That could be a real consideration, but it is also a refuge of scoundrels and con artists, who are looking to find investors who will, perhaps, see some private demonstration, and private demonstrations can, history has shown, be readily faked, ingenuity is endless.

I have no opinion that Rossi's public demonstration was faked. What I think is that we should all simmer down and let Rossi prove what he needs to prove. Harassing Rossi to try to force him to reveal his secrets is not really fair, if I assume that Rossi is real. Jed has been trying to advise him, sincerely, I believe, but the advice is fairly obvious, and Rossi obviously doesn't want the advice.

But I will note a generic way to fake Rossi's work, others have proposed other possibilities, and, if it's fake, the truth might even be a hybrid. I have no doubt but that it could be done, that even more convincing demonstrations could be done. But not independent replications, and that is why we all want to see such, not simply inventor-managed "demonstrations." Independent replication can be done under non-disclosure agreements that would protect Rossi's commercial rights. But Rossi is not going that way, which is his privilege. It is also our privilege to ignore his work until we see something more solid.

The damage to our field, though, can be tremendous. Rossi is already the subject of attack from pseudo-skeptics, who lump Rossi in with the rest of the field, when there is a vast difference. Those of us who are ready to give Rossi particular credence are risking a great deal, and for no gain that I can see.

The experiment could easily be faked by modifying the elecrical outlet that the device is plugged into to deliver, under particular conditions of load, high voltage, thus allowing more input power than has been expected from estimating the current capacity of the power supply wiring. The "difficulties" shown in the public demonstration could easily be diversions. A private investor would be shown a smoothly-functioning device. While most sensible investors would investigate more carefully, it only takes one sucker with a big wallet for the payoff to exist. The purpose of the public demonstration is to attract possible investors. Rossi is complaining about how much work he's having to do, which any potential investor would recognise as having an obvious solution: a pile of money.

(If the plugged-in input power devices were independently supplied and monitored, then this theory can be tossed in the junkpile, there would have to be some other power source, and it gets a bit more difficult, but still not impossible.)

Is this an accusation of fraud? No. I have *no* evidence to show that there is fraud. There are, however, *many* obvious grounds for suspicion, others have described these in detail. Suspicion does not equal proof, it does not even equal accusation. It is just normal skepticism, a very necessary faculty.

From the history of other "flashes in the pan," however, if this is fraud (or, given what we've been shown, the much less likely possibility of simple error), come the end of the year, we will see this or that excuse as to wny the promised 1 MW reactors don't exist. 1 MW reactors aren't at all necessary to comprehensively demonstrate that this is real: independent replications, of what was already supposedly demonstrated, would do that, and Rossi would then have more than enough money and resources to do what he needs to do. If Rossi is real, he is comprehensively shooting himself in the foot.