SUBJECT: Group seeks to discredit Rossi

>From Abd:

> But I will note a generic way to fake Rossi's
> work, others have proposed other possibilities,
> and, if it's fake, the truth might even be a
> hybrid. I have no doubt but that it could be
> done, that even more convincing demonstrations
> could be done. But not independent replications,
> and that is why we all want to see such, not
> simply inventor-managed "demonstrations."
> Independent replication can be done under
> non-disclosure agreements that would protect
> Rossi's commercial rights. But Rossi is not going
> that way, which is his privilege. It is also our
> privilege to ignore his work until we see something
> more solid.

I find myself in sympathy with many of the intertwiningly complex
issues for which Abd has brought forth here. However, I think it is
also appropriate that we do not lose sight of the fact that while
there is indeed a time when independent replication must begin, there
still exists a time... a crucial time period prior to when independent
testing & replication ought to commence. That prior time period must
be allowed to gestate at its own pace. Complicating matters, I suspect
there comes a critical time when that gestation period must make an
uneasy transition over to the next period when independent replication
must ensure. If these two distinct crucial time periods get overly
mixed up spectacular disasters can and do occur.

Recall the tragic PR mess that transpired when scientists (most of
them physicists) in their initial curiosity attempted to independently
replicate a chemistry experiment, for which most had little experience
in executing, the Pons & Fleischmann 1989 "cold fusion" experiment. As
we all know, the vast majority of those preliminary "independent
replications" failed. The result was a tragic history lesson on how
NOT to conduct independent replication, a lesson that has taken
decades to turgidly work its constipated way through the alimentary
canal of pseudo science accusations.

Looking back on those events we can see that to a very large extent
that "independent replication" was premature. It was premature because
the necessary protocols were not yet sufficiently understood by P&F.
If they didn't know all the crucial details, could they accurately
tell others what they must do? Exacerbating matters, physicists were
attempting to perform delicate experiments within a field (chemistry)
for which they were not trained in. JEE! WHAT COULD GO WRONG!!!!
There were too many unknowns and variables that tended to mess things
up. The uncertainties P&F secretly harbored quickly came back to haunt
them. Due to a collection of unique political circumstances of that
time period P&F felt they had no choice but to come out of the closet,
so to speak, and (prematurely) reveal what they suspected was probably
occurring. IOW, they speculated. Due to their own lack of adequate
knowledge pertaining of certain experimental factors some of their
speculations turned out to be premature, as well as I gather
inaccurate. Some of these unfounded speculations ended up skewering
them in the light of the scientific community. They could see the
rusty blade coming at them, skewering them in slow motion - and there
wasn't a damned thing they could do about the ensuing circus.

Timing is everything.

Historically speaking, I wonder what might have happened if the Wright
Brothers had prematurely revealed blueprints to their prototype, prior
to them having figured out how to get their unwieldy contraption off
the ground without killing too many pilots. Through tedious trial and
error, combined with countless wind tunnel experiments, the Wright
brothers finally managed to accumulate a practical knowledge base as
to the actual physics involved, particularly the complex aerodynamics
that needed to be addressed in order to get their flying machine up
into the air in a controlled fashion. It seems to me that it would
have been highly, HIGHLY unlikely that had other individuals, having
not acquired the same knowledge base that the Wrights had
painstakingly accumulated, they would not have been able to
successfully replicate the Wright Brother' blue prints to the degree
necessary to achieve a reasonable probability of success. Most likely,
they would not have understood countless subtle little details,
details not necessarily obvious as described in the blue prints. More
likely, many replicators, in their impatient enthusiasm to get
something up in the air, would have ended up killing themselves
resulting in lots of bad PR. The Wright Brothers would have been
branded dangerous crack pots & quacks. Stay clear of them, and their
dangerous machine designs! How much longer would it have taken the
world to accept a brand new audacious paradigm that powered flight was
feasible?

Possibly decades later.

> If Rossi is real, he is comprehensively shooting himself
> in the foot.

Obviously, Abd's expressed concerns have already been articulated by
many within the Vort Collective. Many, particularly Jed, have
vehemently questioned the wisdom of Rossi's purported business plans.
In the final analysis, however, we can sit here and wine all we want
about how we think Rossi ought to be going about executing his
business because many of us feel his plans all totally f*cked up, but
in the final analysis we are not Rossi.

Under the circumstances, the best suggestion that I can think of is to
continue to accumulate as much crucial information as we can
pertaining to what is theorized to be happening so that if (and I
sincerely mean "IF") something catastrophic happens to Rossi's
business plan, resulting in his work becoming publicly discredited in
pretty much the same fashion as what happened to P&F - there is at
least a decent hope that independent research can proceed "untainted"
at some obscure university or research facility where proper controls
can be administered in a more controlled systematic way.

PS: I've said this before but I'll say it again. IMO, Rossi could use
a good handler, a PR professional who can help minimize the damage
that occasionally occurs when he puts his foot in his mouth.

"Ahem... what Rossi really meant to say was..."

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com
www.zazzle.com/orionworks