<jwin...@cyllene.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

> What you wrote is true when there is liquid water and steam together in a
> container - the combination cannot be heated to a temperature higher than
> 100 deg C without raising the pressure.  However once all the liquid has
> turned to gas there is no longer any limit to what temperature it can be
> raised to until the molecules dissociate into their component elements.

What would keep the molecules in the kettle, assuming the top or spout is
open? What would prevent the gas density from declining indefinitely until
it is close to a vacuum?

My understanding is that the temperature does not rise as long as the volume
is free to expand.

In any case, with the real world case of the Rossi device or an actual
kettle, you can make the metal as hot as you like, but as long as you keep
pumping water in, unconfined steam coming out will be 100 deg C. It may not
remove all of the heat, in which case the Rossi device (or kettle) will get
hotter and hotter, losing heat by other paths. There is no feeback from the
Rossi gadget to the cooling water flow, and no change in the flow rate.
There is some other feedback to the electric heater control. I do not know
how that works.

Anyway, this explains why the steam temperature does not change, even though
the Rossi device internal temperature is fluctuating, as you see in one of
the graphs. People here have assumed that the cooling water has to be
removing all of the heat, keeping everything in balance. There is no
indication it is in balance. The unchanging steam temperature does not
indicate that the machine is magically supplying just enough heat to keep
the steam just above 100 deg C.