At 12:34 PM 2/10/2011, Jed Rothwell wrote:

It would be a little tricky to have something like this produce the output performance of the Rossi device. You would have to have a secret remote control that vectors most of the cooling water around the heat source at first, and then gradually sends the water to carry off the heat from the hot material. To store 23,107 kJ, you would have to have a much larger mass of material than you can fit into the Rossi device.

Mmmm. how much water did the device heat to 100 C? I haven't looked at the specific heat numbers, but it looks to me like you could have an internal control that would simply send water into the heat source, it would boil rapidly and leave, so you'd control the amount of steam by how much water you let in. Until the heat source approached 100 degrees C, a constant flow of water would produce a constant flow of steam.

Using water to hold the heat would require pressure containment, complicating everything. Instead, you couldn't use a very hot metal? Below melting or even molten?

Was that figure 23 MJ? Anyway, rough calculation, I came up with about 10 or 15 quarts of iron just below melting. Did I do that right? That's not all that much volume. And if you use molten iron, it's quite a bit more. Gets more dangerous, of course.