does classical mechanics always fail to predict or retrodict for 3 or
more Newtonian gravity bodies? Rich Murray 2011.02.18

Hello Steven V Johnson,

Can I have a free copy of the celestial mechanics software to run on
my Vista 64 bit PC?

In fall, 1982, I wrote a 200-line program in Basic for the
Timex-Sinclair $100 computer with 20KB RAM that would do up to 4
bodies in 3D space or 5 in 2D space, about 1000 steps in an hour,
saving every 10th position and velocity -- I could set it up to
reverse the velocities after the orbits became chaotic after 3 1/2
orbits from initial perfect symmetry as circles about the common
center of gravity, finding that they always maintained chaos, never
returning to the original setup -- doubling the number of steps while
reducing the time interval by half never slowed the the evolution of
chaos by 3 1/2 orbits -- so I doubted that there is any mathematical
basis for the claim that classical mechanics predicts the past or
future evolution of any system with over 2 bodies, leading to a
conjecture that no successful algorithm exists, even without any close
encounters.

Has this been noticed by others?

Rich Murray rmfor...@gmail.com  505-819-7388
1943 Otowi Road, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505