Some comments in this news article reflect the attitude of most members of
the public toward cold fusion:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/6743923/the-domestic-politics-of-oil.thtml

One person brought up the Rossi results. The others all rejected the claims,
with comments such as:

"Daniel Maris, a podcast I listen to (Skeptics Guide to the Universe - who
are very pro-AGW if it matters) comprehensively debunked that cold fusion
story a couple of weeks ago."

"Cold fusion! pull the other one."

"Cold fusion? I expect you'll get a lot of abuse from nasty skeptics, but
not from me Daniel. I can remember how people laughed at the idea of the
Infinite Improbability Drive. . . . Throwaway rant: . . .1) Cold Fusion has
also been verified at the University of Lagos. It is a truly wonderful
investment opportunity.. . . ."

"Cold Fusion- nothing but a scam."

These attitudes are also held by the editors at Sci. Am. and Nature, by the
editors at Wikipedia, at the DoE, and of course by Robert Park. In that
sense Cude is correct. Cold fusion is as "fringe" as anything can be. No one
who follows the mass media would argue with that!