Let me add one more detail - mentioned on the Swedish site.

Nickel has extremely high nuclear stability. Iron usually gets the honor as
most stable, but they are a close "one, two" in the ratings, and the highest
stability of all in a Nova or supernova - is a nickel isotope. This is due
to 'magic numbers'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_number_%28physics%29

What this means for understanding the Rossi effect is that nickel is highly
unlikely to be susceptible to nuclear change, but copper, in contrast, is
not particularly stable. IOW Rossi and Focardi probably got it wrong.

If there is to be any transmutation at all involving copper - then it
probably comes from pre-existing copper being transmuted by "virtual
neutrons" a.k.a. maximally depleted hydrino-hydride.

That would be one of the contenders for the proper MO. The copper may have
been added as the 'secret' catalyst, or it may have been inadvertent - from
reactor contamination.

The hydrino is not my personal favorite hypothesis, but in a few months, you
may hear "I could'a been a contender" coming from a lot of pundits ... and
maybe from Rossi himself.

Jones