Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

 Isn’t it ironic in a way, since you have said before that Arata shares a
> similar level of vanity ?

Yup. I would hate to bring those two together.

> Arata probably considers himself the father of nanoparticle LENR … without
> which, Ni-H might not be possible.

I think everyone would acknowledge he is the father of nanoparticle LENR.

That's what I don't get about these people. Everyone in cold
fusion acknowledges that Arata has made vital contributions. They have told
him that, giving him awards and special sessions. Same in other fields. Both
Emperors gave him medals. The Welding Institute established an award in his
name:

http://www.iiw-iis.org/TheIIW/Recognition/Pages/Arata.aspx

I am sure he deserves every honor! That's not my point.

You would think that person whose ego has been stroked by so many people
would feel a sense of magnanimity . . . or noblesse oblige, or a sense that
he has made it to top and there no need to step on anyone else or denigrate
them to make himself look better. Yet the praise heaped upon him seems to
make him less secure, and more anxious for more homage. He is like one of
these rock stars, like Michael Jackson, that wretched man.

Arthur C. Clarke had a tremendous ego. He and his friends joked about it. He
used to send out circulars titled "EGOgram." He was anxious to amass
recognition and awards, and he loved to drop names. He, too, deserved every
award that came his way. But he was the polar opposite of Arata in
personality. He was the nicest, friendliest person you would ever want to
meet. (We never did meet, but I spoke with him on the phone.) He would never
put on airs or boast. He loved animals and children. He grew up on a farm
and was good with horses.

His biographer McAleer described his egomania, and he did not mind a bit. It
was an "authorized biography." He told me he learned a lot from it. I
reminded him that it described his habit in youth of keeping a record of
orgasms in his diary, and proudly pointing out to all and sundry that he
exceeded the Kinsey report averages. He was taken aback. He had completely
forgotten that and thought it was hysterical. Evidently the book was not too
carefully authorized since he had overlooked that. But he was a the last
person in the world who would worry about appearing . . . undignified, I
guess you would call it.

He and Chris Tinsley were the funniest people I have ever known.

Cold fusion has attracted a cast of characters, that's for sure. Rossi tops
them all. The news and the buzz he generates, the mind-boggling claims he
makes, and the aura of the unexpected he emanates is stronger than the field
strength generated by #2 through #10 strange-aura researchers tied together.
THAT is quite an accomplishment in this business.

He is also a sweet fellow. Kind of aggravating at times, but who isn't? I do
not think he intends for every word in his blog to be taken seriously. He
has a devious sense of humor.