Two major claims about Rossi's must be verified (cause and effect):

1. It is nuclear (the cause)
2. It gives far more thermal energy than consumed electrical  energy
so there is a commercial viability (the effect)

An experiment should focus only on calorimetry since the claimed
effect would be lots of heat .  Let's forget the cause, at the moment.
The simple question: "Is the fire (really) hot?" still needs to be
answered.   All other questions come afterwards.  And since such
experiment
could be really simple, we should wonder why it was not done right away?

Since the claim is a 200 ratio for out/in  the following simple
components could be used besides the E-cat,  H2 gas tank and  control
box:

1) a (sealed) room without power outlet.
2) a number of car batteries that can provide the necessary but
limited amount of energy
3) a tank full of water (how many cubic meters would be enough to
avoid a reaction out of control?) well insulated (quasi adiabatic)
4) a simple liquid mixer (using power from a dedicated pack of batteries)

Just connect the in and the out of the E-cat to the tank and measure
the temperature in different points of the tank at regular
intervals until batteries are exhausted.  Check the level of water
inside the tank stays the same. Weight everything before and
after.  At the end there should be a positive T increase and should be
much more than the one that could be possibly generated by
the batteries (even the mixer ones) and by burning the missing mass.

mic