Mössbauer spectroscopy is a
spectroscopic<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectroscopy>technique
based on the recoil-free, resonant absorption and emission of gamma
rays <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_ray> in
solids<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid>.
This resonant emission and absorption was first observed by Rudolf
Mössbauer<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_M%C3%B6ssbauer>during
his graduate studies in 1957, and is called the Mössbauer
effect <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B6ssbauer_effect> in his honor.
Mössbauer received a Nobel Prize in 1961 for this work.

Like NMR spectroscopy <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NMR_spectroscopy>,
Mössbauer spectroscopy probes tiny changes in the energy levels of an atomic
nucleus in response to its environment. Typically, three types of nuclear
interaction <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_interaction> may be
observed: an isomer shift <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isomer_shift>, also
known as a chemical shift
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_shift>; quadrupole
splitting <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrupole_splitting>; and, magnetic
or hyperfine splitting <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperfine_splitting>,
also known as the Zeeman effect <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeeman_effect>.
Due to the high energy and extremely narrow
line<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectral_line>widths of gamma rays,
Mössbauer spectroscopy is one of the most sensitive
techniques in terms of energy (and hence frequency) resolution, capable of
detecting change in just a few parts per 10e11.

Depending on the local environment of the Fe atoms and the magnetic
properties, Mössbauer spectra of iron oxides can consist of a singlet, a
doublet, or a sextet. If the iron is superparamagnetic a telltale hyperfine
sextet structure will be detected.