<mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:

All your points are interesting, and as I said, I can see underground roads
> being of some importance in large cities, and perhaps with time in smaller
> cities too, however before they reach the point where the concept would be
> extended to major continental highways, I think air transport will long
> have
> eliminated the need for them.

Yup. I predicted that, too. Air transport for most trips over 50 km. Except
in built up areas such as the Boston to Washington corridor. I don't like
the idea of hundreds of thousands of small aircraft cluttering up the skies.
Even if they are perfectly safe, and quiet, I think it would be
aesthetically dreadful, especially over beautiful cities such as Washington
or New York City. I predict that all cities will either be beautiful, or
torn down.

I expect it will take a long time to develop small, autonomous, perfectly
safe aircraft and air traffic control for millions of small aircraft. We may
have tunnels before then, under the major U.S. highways, such as 85 and 95
on the east coast. If we have them, I suppose they will be maintained for
freight use, even if most people decide to fly. Autonomous trucks will
replace trucks and railroads. On the other hand many deliveries will come
via air from the factory roof to the Wall Mart roof, in the dead of night.

I like the idea of industrial processes, delivery of goods, sewage
treatment, internet distribution cables and most other industrial complex
placed out of sight, underground, leaving the surface for people and
wildlife to enjoy. Actually, the idea was pioneered at Disney World (epcot).
Arthur Clarke said it was the wave of the future. He thought Disney World is
great. I'm not thrilled by it, but I like their utility and sewer system. I
like the idea that they do not have to dig up the roads constantly to repair
the systems. Underground urban tunnels would not only serve automobile
traffic, they would also be used for utilities.

Not power distribution though. No need for that with cold fusion.