I wrote:

> Tritium is easy to detect, but only if you try to detect it. As far as I
> know, no one has. Also, you cannot detect it if it is allowed to escape from
> the cell into the air. You would have to open the cell carefully in a
> controlled environment to capture it.

I should have said "vent the cell" carefully. You do not need to open it to
find tritium. You do need to open it to look for copper.

It does have only one gas connection. I do not know if the stopcocks are
adequate for the job.

Many people such as Miles and Mizuno have told me that transferring gas to a
collection flask or directly into a mass spectrometer is tricky. There is a
lot of helium in the air, which has to be purged.

I would feel a lot better about the Rossi device if a few hundred university
and corporate labs were busily engaged in tests of this sort. We are not
going to learn anything substantive about this system until people other
than Rossi get cells into their hands. Rossi praises some academic
researchers, such as Levi and Kullander. He like them, personally. But he
is adamant about his plans. He will not distribute cells to E&K until after
the 1 MW demonstration. That is his first priority, and he will let nothing
interfere with it. As I said, I with the thought of building a 1 MW
prototype had never entered his head!

It is unclear to me whether Levi et al. still have a cell and are working on
it. I have heard they have one, but there was also talk about problems
getting permission and funds.