On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 5:35 PM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax
<a...@lomaxdesign.com>wrote:

Part 1A

Cude >>So far, claimed evidence for excess heat in a Rossi apparatus has
been observed directly only by people vetted by Rossi. First Levi, who was
on Rossi’s editorial board, and the recipient of research funding from
Rossi. Then Essen & Kallander who were on record as being sympathetic to the
Rossi device. And lastly journalist/blogger Lewan, who was on record as
being an uncritical Rossi groupie.

Lomax > Cude is correct as to observers. […]  This isn't like ordinary cold
fusion, where the experiment was very difficult to set up. If this thing
works or doesn't work, it will be obvious.

Exactly. And yet it still isn't. If it were obvious, the media and
scientists would be all over it.  The royal wedding would look like a small
media event by comparison. Rossi would have Bob Park, Steve Koonin, Oprah,
and Tom Brokaw all breathing down his neck.

But no, it's not obvious at all. And if real, it would be dead easy to make
it obvious. If you really need input electricity, run a Stirling engine to
power a generator. With a 30x energy gain, and an 80C temperature
difference, the efficiency would be plenty high enough. Then without any
input power at all, use the device (including the waste heat from powering
the Stirling engine) to heat a 1000L tub of water to boiling. This would be
completely visual, requiring no expert observers. Some vigilance would be
required because it might take some time, especially if you want to run it
long enough to rule out chemical fuel by an order of magnitude or more.

The need for this sort of standalone cold fusion device has been admitted by
Rothwell, and it is very clear that Rossi's device does not meet the
standard.

The fact that it still isn't obvious, months after the first "public" demo,
means it almost certainly doesn't work. 10 kW and a million times the energy
density of gasoline! Allegedly reproducible and stable. How can that be so
hard to demonstrate?

> It is to the point, already, where "fraud" is, first of all, the only
possibility besides "it's real," and "fraud" has become so remote that
*believing* it is a fraud is insane, hanging one's hat on something quite
unlikely.

Whether it's fraud or incompetence or something else is irrelevant to me.
Until good evidence for a new energy source is freely available, I will
remain skeptical.

But surely cold fusion advocates should not be dissuaded by something
because it's likelihood is remote. After all, physicists have been
dismissing nuclear reactions with more or less the same language: the chance
of nuclear reactions is so remote that believing it is insane, hanging one's
hat on something quite unlikely. Of the two, fraud or nuclear reactions in a
Rossi ecat, most physicists, and evidently most media, regard fraud as a far
less remote possibility.

> This is an invention, not yet clearly well protected by patent, and Rossi,
if we assume this is real, has many sound reasons to keep it very private.

Whatever. He could make an obvious demonstration while keeping his black box
private.

> As far as we can tell, so far, he hasn't solicited funding, except from
Ampenergo, a reputable company in the U.S., formed by people who have long
worked with Rossi, they know him well.

Well, the problem is we can't tell very far, can we? Until a week or so ago,
we didn't know about Ampenergo, and Rossi's lack of funding was held up as
evidence against fraud. Then Ampenergo money shows up, and that is held up
as evidence against fraud, because the investors musta checked it carefully.
So, no matter if he's gotten money or he hasn't, the believers use it as
proof that it's real. Kinda sad.

Mills has been milking H-Ni exotherms for millions of dollars for years,
with only a series of failed promises to show for it. Now, maybe Rossi
figures he wants a piece of the action.