On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No, that is not a bit implausible. This is like saying that because a
racing car can go 150 mph on a track, Jed's 1994 Geo Metro should be able to
drive at 150 mph on Peachtree Industrial Boulevard.

No. It's like saying that because a racing car can go 150, a Geo Metro based
on the same principle should be able to move. That electrode cooled down
instantly.

>> But some claims, if real, can be demonstrated in a simple and obvious
way. CF and heavier than air flight are two examples. When such
demonstrations should be possible but are absent . . .

> Such demonstrations have been done many times.

And yet you said,

"I do not think any scientist will dispute this."

using the future tense.

> That is incorrect. Only one group of researchers thought they had observed
polywater. Another reported they saw it but quickly retracted.  About 150
groups investigated but found nothing.

450 publications about finding nothing? I've already given quotes showing
you are wrong.

And anyway, in the view of most scientists, 1000 people have investigated CF
and found nothing.

>>Not as simply and visually as you have described and wished for. Not
simply and visually enough to persuade a panel of experts.

>Every expert who has looked closely at cold fusion has been convinced it is
real. The DoE panel one-day extravaganza was not an investigation, it was a
parlor game.

It wasn't a one-day extravaganza. Half the panel members were given 30 days
to review material provided by the CF advocates. And presumably, they were
all given some time after to write their reports.

Anyway, it's the same parlor game played by every other branch of science.
If the CF people can't compete, and explain their results, in the same way
everyone else is expected to, it's their problem. It's not as if their
results are more difficult to explain.

Also, if such simple and obvious demonstrations have been done many times,
as you claim above, why should it take more than a day to be convinced by
them? If the claim is real, it should be easy to demonstrate.

> The panel members who were not persuaded did not do their homework.

If homework is required, then it is not simple and obvious, and so again,
you contradict yourself.