On 2011-06-19 14:08, Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:

How many reactions, which produce heat, and which may produce runaway
heat, can be quenched by ... *heating them up* ?

To be fair, I don't think this is what Rossi actually means.

Self-sustaining reactors probably operate on a closed loop, heated by the same steam (which I assume would be in high-pressure superheated conditions) they heat themselves. I suppose Rossi et al. don't have yet a quick, safe and reliable way to stop a thermal runaway, especially if devices are left operating unattended.

When devices are plugged to the wall, it would be instead sufficient to simply switch off electrical power.

Cheers,
S.A.