Rossi adds externally generated heat to reach and maintain steady state heat
production equilibrium.

One passive way to decrease reactor heat production is to decrease hydrogen
pressure. This can be done by absorbing hydrogen from the hydrogen envelope
using a hydride producing metal; for example, titanium. Provide an amount of
titanium powder in a dedicated chamber separated from the main reaction
chamber by a thermally regulated pressure valve.

As the heat increases, hydrogen is removed from the reaction chamber using
the passive pressure relief valve.

A titanium hydride will be produced and hydrogen will be stored.   To get
the reaction going again, heat the titanium hydride powder to liberate
hydrogen. This will get the pressure of the hydrogen envelope back up to
self-sustaining levels.

As long as the passive pressure relief valve is working, a melt down and
resulting hydrogen explosion will not occur.