At 06:44 PM 6/19/2011, mix...@bigpond.com wrote:
If one were trying to reach the operating temperature of the device, wouldn't it
make sense to have no water flowing until it was reached (or at least close)?

Consider the complications. For a reminder, there are two chambers in the device, a reaction chamber, which needs to be raised to 450 C or perhaps greater, for the reaction to be significant, and a water or coolant chamber. If we have gravity feed of water to the coolant chamber, and no water exit except as water vapor, then there is no coolant flow until the coolant chamber water temperature reaches boiling.

Steady state, the reaction chamber is at, say, 450 C., and the coolant chamber is at 100 C. The thermal resistance between them must be such that the selected operating temperature is maintained, with reaction heat plus (by their specifications), maybe 1/6 of that as input electrical power.

That is actually a fairly high resistance. The only drag on reaching operating temperature is through this, and it's just the energy to heat the water from ambient to 100 C.

I'm way too lazy to do the math. It would be way fascinating, though, to see how the generated energy varies with heat.

It's pretty obvious that more efficient designs can be done, but, that's engineering, it could be much more complicated, and time is of the essence for Rossi now. This seems quite simple, and cheap to manufacture (except for the catalyst/fuel, about which we know little).

All you have to do is to keep the reaction chamber below runaway temperature, and keep water in the coolant chamber. If you have done this, with adequate safety margin, the device will not run away and melt or explode. Rossi seems to have a PLC running this. The displays of a single digit cannot be given any specific interpretation, for all we know those could be the numbers of a series of operating modes. The controller would monitor reaction chamber temperature and maybe other variables, but the reaction temperature seems like the only necessary parameter.