On 11-06-20 08:52 PM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
At 05:42 PM 6/20/2011, you wrote:

2011 - Andrea Rossi Explains His Energy Catalyzer
(duration: 13m 24s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-8QdVwY98E

Remarkable. In this video, at about 10:40, Rossi acknowledges that there is a little water that, he claims, condenses in the hose.

"very small condensation, because this is very short, and so the maximum part is steam, that goes out."

Krivit asks to see the steam. Rossi picks up the hose. He takes care, quite deliberately, it seems, raising the hose first, I interpret this as ensuring that water condensed in the hose runs down the drain.

He pulls the hose out, holds it for a moment in the air, puts it back in the drain. Krivit starts sputtering himself, but Rossi understands. Meanwhile Levi has come up with a black T-shirt or other garment, which he holds up so that Rossi can hold the hose against it and we can see the steam, at about 11:25. I'm not certain what I'm seeing here. It seems to me sometimes that the steam is existing invisbly for a very short distance, which would indicate dry steam. Howver, sometimes I see the steam next to the outlet, this could be related to the end being moved around by Rossi.

The volume of steam coming out seems low for the claimed power, just my impression, easily could be wrong.

Rossi's explanation is not sound, that the steam isn't so visible because it's so hot. It's at normal temperature for steam!!!

Measured at between 100 and 102C, in fact, according to what I've read.

So, no, it's not superheated steam.

It will cool and condense, becoming visible, when it hits the ambient air. The only difference that will exist for various flow rates will be an increase in the plume size and an increase in the apparent velocity of any turbulence in it. The margin between the opening of the hose and the point at which the steam becomes visible will become larger (because it probably takes about the same time to cool, but if it's moving faster, it will travel further in that time.)

The instability of the viewing of the steam plume is disappointing.

I just looked again. I think I can see steam all the way down to the hose, which would imply that this is not dry steam, not completely, not exiting the hose. It might have been dry coming out of the E-Cat. The place to observe the steam would be at the valve, which they have completely covered here. The temperature inside the hose at the end would be of interest. If it's cooler, that would explain the visibility of steam.

It's going to be within a degree or so of 100C, which is the reported temperature in the chimney. Certainly no cooler, since there's steam coming out, and certainly not much warmer. So, I don't think you'd see anything interesting with two thermometers.

Remember, steam with entrained droplets is "buffered", and will stay at almost exactly 100C even if it either gives up or absorbs some amount of heat. (This is the "internal feedback" mechanism I've referred to elsewhere.)

Spitting water would also function to nail the output temperature at or near 100C, by the way. It doesn't have to be entrained droplets -- just some liquid water which is carried all the way to the end of the boiler, so it can hold the temperature of the steam at boiling, rather than letting it heat up farther. And occasional spitting might very well allow them to still measure the steam as "dry", come to think of it, even though, like "wet steam", spitting would result in some water passing through unboiled, and would allow for easy balancing of the "energy budget" with a fixed output temp of just over 100C.

And, of course, a hose which is wet on the inside will also keep steam at 100C quite nicely, as the wet inner surface functions as a "buffering agent" -- but the water on the inner surface will eventually crawl out the end of the hose, so it needs to be replenished, either from condensation or from spitting.

(A tee with valves on both branches would do it. The hose would run to the drain, as they have. To allow viewing the steam, they would open the valve on the vertical section of the tee fitting, and close the valve to the hose, wait a little while for the tee to heat up, and then one could view the steam plume clearly, with a black background, up very close. Nice test would be a small increase or decrease in heater power, which should fairly rapidly lengthen or shorten the position at which the plume becomes visible. I've suggested having a steam whistle on the vent, for fun. But the flow rate might not be adequate. Maybe a small whistle. Levi, by the way, has a great deal of fun with the black T-shirt or sweatshirt, clowning for the camera. Nice human touch.)

My inclination is to believe that the device is actually boiling all the water going through, but that's got to be qualified by hedges. If we could see that the steam exiting the E-cat was invisible, and that no water was spitting out, that would ice it, and that should be so simple to do that I'm left with what has become my default hypothesis. Rossi is making weak demonstrations, and deliberately. And, of course, Krivit is not made a witness to details such as weighing the water input, etc. This is basically a "Trust me" demo, which is his right, and we can even appreciate the opportunity to see this, but I have to conclude that Rossi has no interest in convincing skeptics.

It's quite understandable. Either way! (Real/fraud.)

Yes.  Either way -- unfortunately for those of us trying to guess the truth!