At 10:02 PM 6/20/2011, Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:

Rossi's explanation is not sound, that the steam isn't so visible because it's so hot. It's at normal temperature for steam!!!

Measured at between 100 and 102C, in fact, according to what I've read.

So, no, it's not superheated steam.

Right. The explanation was BS.

It will cool and condense, becoming visible, when it hits the ambient air. The only difference that will exist for various flow rates will be an increase in the plume size and an increase in the apparent velocity of any turbulence in it. The margin between the opening of the hose and the point at which the steam becomes visible will become larger (because it probably takes about the same time to cool, but if it's moving faster, it will travel further in that time.)

The instability of the viewing of the steam plume is disappointing.

I just looked again. I think I can see steam all the way down to the hose, which would imply that this is not dry steam, not completely, not exiting the hose. It might have been dry coming out of the E-Cat. The place to observe the steam would be at the valve, which they have completely covered here. The temperature inside the hose at the end would be of interest. If it's cooler, that would explain the visibility of steam.

It's going to be within a degree or so of 100C, which is the reported temperature in the chimney. Certainly no cooler, since there's steam coming out, and certainly not much warmer. So, I don't think you'd see anything interesting with two thermometers.

I don't know that there is steam coming out. What's coming out is a cloud, i.e., condensed steam, though it looks like a mixure (because it does seem to become more visible above the hose), so I think some steam is making it to the end of the pipe. Still, there might be a fraction of a degree of temperature difference. It's really moot. The steam should be examined at the other end, at the top of the chimney, with a valve, as was done by Essen and Kullen.

Remember, steam with entrained droplets is "buffered", and will stay at almost exactly 100C even if it either gives up or absorbs some amount of heat. (This is the "internal feedback" mechanism I've referred to elsewhere.)

Yes, it is.