At 10:06 AM 7/3/2011, Jed Rothwell wrote:

Here is an analysis of Rossi's e-Cat steam test from Ed Storms. Actually, this is a combination of two messages he sent me, with a clarification inserted into item 2.

- Jed

Thanks for forwarding this, Jed, and thanks to Dr. Storms for writing it. I think he has missed something.

Before looking at that, I want to emphasize that from the public evidence, I cannot determine how much power the E-Cat is generating. This is not the same as a claim that it does not generate power. It might, it might not. Or, because one of the errors here is an excluded middle, I'll point out that it might be generating power at a different level than claimed. It might even be more! (Rossi may have overestimated input power, because he included the power dissipated in the electronics.) We don't have the data we'd need.

A variety of ways the Rossi claims might be wrong have been suggested. Let's examine each. The following values are used:

Cp (H2O at 65°) = 4.18 J/g-deg ,

enthalpy of vaporization @ 100°C = 2.27 kJ/g.

1. Not all of the water is turned to steam.

Dr. Storms has missed something. It is a practical certainty, backed by the Essen and Kullander measurements (if they were accurate, which they almost certainly are not), that there is some water not being vaporized. Thus we can be sure that the statement above is true. The question is not that, but *how much*?

 If applied power is making all of steam,  the following would be observed.

Applied power = 745 watt

Actually, that overstates applied power. While total input power is of interest, it is of interest only for ruling out fraud, because the real figure for calorimetry analysis would be heater power. The applied power includes power dissipated in the electronics. In a convincing and accurate demonstration, heater power would be reported. Rossi almost certainly has the data, but it would reveal how his heat is being adjusted to maintain energy generation. Is input power constant? Is applied power constant? We have only isolated, static figures, in some cases. (Seems to me I've seen a plot of input power somewhere?)

Flow rate = 7 liter/hr = 1.94 g/sec

Power to heat water to 100° = 73°*4.18*1.94 = 592 watt

Power to make steam = 745 - 592 = 153 watt

Amount of steam produced = 153/2270 = 0.07g/sec out of 1.94 g/sec = 3.4 % of water flow.

Dr. Storms is assuming that all input power is used to heat the water. It would be less because of power consumed by the electronics. Rossi could have made a very convincing demonstration with a blank E-Cat, one with no fuel in the chamber, say no hydrogen. He was asked to do that, he declined, saying that it wasn't necessary, since "everyone knows what is produced." I.e., no excess energy. But this was a clearly deceptive argument, or at least wrong. I certainly don't know how much steam will be produced by an "empty" E-Cat with the same heating and same flow rate!

In the other direction, the input power figure of 745 watts comes from, as I recall, Rossi's calculation, which was based on a figure of 220V for the mains. The actual figure is 230 V., so the actual input power is about 5% higher. Which would have a large effect on the marginal power, the power used to make steam.

But Storms' figure is of interest. From this, I conclude that most of the input water would be flowing through the E-Cat, that it might be at 100 C., and that there might be some steam. However, I do not know that the water is actually at 100 C, it would depend on where the thermometer is placed, whether it was in the water or not, and that might depend on internal design, as well as the possibility of live steam above colder water would depend on internal design. Absent a deliberately manipulated internal design, the water and water vapor would be in equilibrium at 100 C, unless there were not enough applied power to boil any of the water.

As another problem, I don't know for a fact what the input flow is. Below, Dr. Storms points out that some have thought the input flow was overstated by a factor of two. This would drastically affect the calculation above. Assumptions have been made from what seemed to be a constant rate of clicking of the pump. That input flow rate would only be correct if there is no significant resistance to flow. If the E-Cat incorporates a flow control valve, there goes that figure! Does the pump continue to click at the controlled rate even if flow is blocked? I don't know. What I do see are assumptions being made but not explicitly stated as what they are.

A whole series of tough problems would disappear if the water was fed by gravity, so that if there is no boiling, there is no flow. Instead of this, Rossi uses a more complex and actually less reliable method, a pump. With gravity feed, and the source maintained at the right level (which could vary some, but be restored by adding measured water), there would be no flow of liquid water out the hose except for what actually condenses in the hose.

Water does condense in the hose, at least. The hose would fill, as a result, and this shows the defect in Dr. Storms' following argument:

The chimney would fill with water through which steam would bubble.

Yes. It will fill with water even if no water is flowing out the chimney. Then what?

  The extra water would flow into the hose and block any steam from leaving.

No. Not at all, in fact. The water is at 100 C., at least when exiting the chimney. It would fill the hose, yes. However, when the hose is emptied, as Rossi takes care to do when pulling the hose out of the drain, Steam would exit the hose until the hose refilled, which would take some time. Rossi apparently takes care to replace the hose in the drain before this happens.

As the water cooled in the hose, the small amount of steam would quickly condense back to water. Consequently, the hose would fill with water that would flow out the exit at the same rate as the water entered the e-Cat.

Yes. That's equilibrium under some conditions. However, we have no measurements or observation of what is coming out of the hose, steady-state. None. That has not been permitted, on an argument that continuous exposure of the hose end would be dangerous, which is preposterous, if properly done.

However, excluded middle. The statement was that not that all the water is turned into steam. Not that none is. From Dr. Storms' analysis, I'd strongly suspect that there is probably excess power, but the input power is not well-known, nor is the information adequate to rule out liquid water exit.

CONCLUSION: No steam would be visible at the end of the hose, which is not consistent with observation.

Observation has been inadequate to conclude this. When steam has been observed at the end of the hose, it is quite weak, compared to expectation from 100% boiling. It is not clear that the "steam" at the end of the hose is actually steam. If the water is at 100 C., it would certainly produce misty vapor, as any very hot water does. No measure of steam quality at the end of the hose has been done, and, as far as I can tell, temperature measurements have not been done at the end of the hose.

Roughly, unless there were a high rate of steam generation, I'd expect that all the steam might condense in the hose, leading to the same conclusion: all water would exit the hose, steady state, at the same rate as inflow. Only if uncondensed steam reaches the end, *or for transient periods when the hose is emptied*, would this not be the case, and in that case, the temperature at the end would be at boiling. Measurement not done. Apparently not permitted.

2. The steam contains water droplets, i.e, was not dry.

Power to heat water to 100° = 592 watt

Power to vaporize all water =  1.94 * 2270 = 4404 watt

Total  = 4997 watt if all water is vaporized

Excess power =  4249 watt

The only way steam is wet is when water drops are present. If too many drops are present, they fall as rain (precipitate). It is simply impossible to have a large number of drops present. A 5% figure is chosen as an example here (<http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wet-steam-quality-d_426.html>http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wet-steam-quality-d_426.html) because this is a plausible amount. Nevertheless, the conclusion would be the same even if 20% water drops were present.

Dr. Storms should consider a crucial question: how is the power regulated so that the two extremes are avoided, the emptying of the cell due to boil-off rate exceeding inflow, or water exiting the hose unvaporized? It's easy to understand self-regulation if some level of hot water runoff is allowed, and the input power (thus the generated power) would be such as to merely vary the water runoff rate as the output power varies, within some range. I conclude from this analysis that, if there is no runoff, some input variable must be a control, and the obvious one is input power. But how is that controlled? Above, Dr. Storms uses a constant figure for input power. What's that based on other than a transient measurment, not a continuous one? Is input power varying?

Further, control requires feedback. There is no indication that the controller has any information coming back to it other than reactor temperature. Is there a level sensor in the cooling chamber?

We are forced into a series of speculations. This is far from a convincing demonstration!

The steam is almost certainly not dry, i.e., zero percent water droplets. The only question, again, is *how much*?

I agree that this is largely a red herring. The strong issue is the larger possibility of unboiled water exiting the chamber, and for massive water to leave by droplets this way, at boiling temperature, would be unlikely.

Power to vaporize 95% of water = 4183 watt

Excess power = 3736 watt

CONCLUSION: Significant excess power is being made regardless of how dry the steam may be.

3. Energy is stored in the apparatus that is being released during the demonstration.

What if the behavior observed is due to a combination of factors? Each factor alone could seem implausible.

Assume e-Cat contained 2 kg of material having an average heat capacity equal to that of copper. Copper has a heat capacity of 0.385 J/g*K.

Assume steam is made for 15 min, i.e. the e-Cat remains above 100° C during this time.

During 15 min, 1750 g of water is converted to steam = 1.94*15*60*2270 = 3963 kJ

Applied energy = 745 *60*15 = 672 kJ

Amount of energy that has to be stored = 3291 kJ

Energy stored in Cu/degree = 2000*.385 = 770 K/°

Initial temperature of e-Cat = about 4400°

The e-cat would have to weight over 20 kg to contain enough energy to make steam for only 15 min. after being heated initially to over 500° C.

CONCLUSION: The e-Cat cannot retain enough energy to account for the observed behavior during cooling from high temperatures.

I agree with this conclusion as applied to an assumed energy value, based on no unvaporized water. This is a house of cards, though. If there is unvaporized water -- and there is *some*, the question is how much, the required stored energy is lowered. How much? Without good calorimetry, and we don't have good calorimetry due to a pile of unconfirmed or not even done measurements, we can't tell.

4. The flow rate is wrong by a factor of 2.

Power to heat water to 100° = 296 watt

Power to vaporize all water = 2204 watt

Total  = 2500 watt if all water is vaporized

Excess power =  1752 watt

CONCLUSION: Excess power is being generated even if the flow rate is misrepresented by a factor of 2.

The problem here is even clearer. An extreme result from one sector of the argument is then used as the basis for an argument in the other. The extreme result used is based on an assumption of total vaporization. The argument for "no liquid water" was based on an assumption that the input flow rate was constant. If the flow rate were halved, then the energy available from the input power is far larger, and steam production would be, with no excess heat, far greater.

BASIC CONCLUSION: None of the plausible assumptions are consistent with the claim for excess energy being wrong.

The conclusion is defective. Rather than looking at assumptions, how about backing up and looking at what we know, and what we don't know? There are "plausible assumptions" incorporated in Dr. Storms' arguments. Plausible assumptions are based on normal experience, and where science often goes awry is where experience is not normal, where something new is being examined. Dr. Storms is really comparing two sets of plausible assumptions, but he's assuming that one set, the one he used, is correct, and the sets appear to contradict, in his analysis, so the others are not true.

We do not know that there is no liquid water flowing through the E-Cat, presumably hot, but unboiled. Quite simply, we have been excluded from seeing the evidence, what actually comes out the hose. The physical arrangement of the E-Cat would allow observation of live steam at the chimney steam relief valve, as apparently observed by Kullander and Essen, *at the same time* as there is liquid water flow out the hose. At the low rates involved, the hose can be emptied by Rossi, as we have observed in the Krivit video, and then observers can see the (modest) steam coming out for a short time. (Did other observers see this emptying? If so, why did they not report it? All this shows how the reports of even skilled observers may be incomplete, with significant actions missed, because of expectations.)

My conclusion from the data: no conclusion can be made about the level of excess power. It may be between the extremes of no excess power to excess power based on 100% vaporization, and we cannot tell where it falls.

Rossi was unexpected to those in the field because of the amount of excess power claimed, not because of a claim of *some* small level of excess power. If that excess power is being overestimated, it impacts the import of his results.

I do not trust raw calculation unless confirmed by experiment or independent data, it is far too easy, even necessary, to incorporate defective assumptions in calculations.