From: Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <a...@lomaxdesign.com>

 possible to argue it is a hoax even if the output is only dry steam.

>> This is based on the assumption that it is theoretically possible to use a
>> 600-700 watt resistance heater to transform a water flow of 7 liters/hours
>> (2ml/second) into dry steam if the amount of time the water spends next to
>> the resistance heater is maximised. eg. if the water tube is narrow and
>> forms a tight spiral around the resistance heater.
>
>After all the discussion, it's frustrating to read a post like this. The
>energy required to boil the water does not depend on how long the water is
>"next to the resistance heater." Heat transfer efficiency is an issue, but not
>in this way. The heat from the heater must go somewhere. It goes into heating
>the device, into heating the water, and, ultimately, it is either dissipated
>directly to the air or into the water.
>
>Generally, an upper limit on power is set by the assumption that all the
>heater power is
 transferred to water heating and boiling.

>Taking figures from Kullander and Essen, to take water from 18 C to 100 C
>requires 95 Wh/kg. To do that and boil it requires requires 725 Wh/kg. This
>value is independent of the time it takes.
>
>If the flow is 2 ml/sec, this is 7.2 kg/h.  Thus the continuous power
>dissipation required to fully vaporize that flow rate is 5.22 kW.
>
>The continuous power dissipation required to just take the water to 100 C,
>however, is only 684 W.
>
>What we have as demonstration reports is that the water does reach 100 C.,
>though it is possible that not all the water reaches that temperature (there
>is a possible fraud mode whereby there is a direct bypass of some water to the
>outlet hose; this would require special design and effort, which is why I call
>this a fraud mode rather than simply a possible error).
>
>From the reports, the chimney temperature in the E-Cat does not exceed
>slightly more than
 100 C. If the water all boiled away, the steam temperature would probably rise
above boiling more significantly.

>If we assume that the flow rate is correct, then, we have a range of possible
>heating power between 684 W and 5.22 kW. If we assume 700 W input power,  the
>generated power in the E-Cat, is between approximately zero and 4.5 kW. To
>narrow this down would require knowing the percentage of water that is
>vaporized, and this is exactly what we do not know.
>
>In many discussions of this, it was assumed that the only issue was "steam
>quality." If we were to assume very wet steam, say 20% by weight, we would
>then be able to infer excess heat, assuming complete boiling (only merely
>"wet"), of about 3.6 kW. This is why some think steam quality is a red herring.
>
>If there is no excess heat, under these conditions, there might be a small
>level of boiling, it's marginal and would depend on the exact power and the
>accuracy of the
 flow rate. If there is some boiling, the water and steam will be exiting the
E-Cat at 100 C., as observed. However, at minimum boiling, 2 ml/sec of water
would be flowing out through the hose to the drain. That water would be at the
boiling point, it would be "steamy," i.e., mist would rise from it, plus any
actual steam would create some visible steam flow.