I am going from memory here, but Rossi said early on that the secret
additive is absolutely required to get useful energy out of his core. Using
the nickel powder alone does not produce heat.

The Rossi process is the amalgamation of multiple mechanisms each of which
when taken separately fail to produce meaningful results.

Only when properly combined and taken together does the set of mechanisms
produce results.