On Aug 22, 2011, at 4:16 PM, Alan J Fletcher wrote:

I've been having some off-vortex action with this.

Latest version is at http://lenr.qumbu.com/rossi_ecat_steam_v410E.php

My attention was drawn to an excellent Rossi eCat simulator by a Rick Cantwell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXTl8z_2Uqo

(It's main deficiency is that he's measuring temperatures on the surface of the tubes, not inside).

It CONFIRMS my "dryout point" hypothesis.

It appears to me a significant deficiency with this experiment is similar to a major deficiency of Rossi's demonstrations, namely, it is not possible to tell what is happening in the hose, especially at the exit of the copper device. It appears to be assumed by some that the water is due entirely to steam condensation which occurs in the hose. This may not be the case.

Something that would obviously be helpful for demos would be the use of translucent tubing, such as polyamide (nylon) tubing, which is good up to 100 °C, instead of black rubber. See:

http://www.graylineinc.com/tubing-materials/nylon.html

Any means of clearly observing what comes out of the copper device should be useful. As I noted earlier, steam quality is almost an insignificant issue compared to the potential of overflow of pure water, See

http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l@eskimo.com/msg48633.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l@eskimo.com/msg48653.html

A smaller (actually probably inconsequential since the experiments were run to equilibrium conditions), problem might be that Rossi's more recent demo, filmed by Steve Krivit, has a horizontal large diameter boiler area, followed by a short smaller diameter vertical section, just the opposite of the arrangement of Rick Cantwell's experiment. A short rise narrow tube should be more capable of supporting a percolator effect - which dumps liquid water into the hose, i.e. comes to equilibrium flows faster.

It is notable that, in mode 1, when no water flows into the device pure steam comes out of the hose and very little liquid. No overflow or percolator effects should be present because the device, at equilibrium operation, is not filled with water to near the top. Since 800 W is used for each of the 3 runs, the steam generation, and water condensation in the hose, should be exactly the same. It is not. Therefore it is reasonable that liquid water is being injected into the hose when flowing water is used in the second two run modes.

Now to take a more quantitative look at this.

At 7 liters per hour water flow there is roughly 1.94 gm/s mass flow. At 5.5 kg per hour there is 1.53 gm/s water flow.

In mode 2, at 1.94 gm/s flow rate, and 78 K temperature increase (second experiment mode) we have a heating power of water Pw (assuming a 94 °C boiling point) of:

   Pw = (1.94 gm/s)*(4.2 J/(gm K))*(72 K) = 586 W

In mode 3, at 1.53 gm/s flow rate, and 78 K temperature increase (second experiment mode) we have heating power of water Pw of:

   Pw = (1.53 gm/s)*(4.2 J/(gm K))*(74 K) = 476 W

In mode 2 this leaves 800 W - 586 W = 214 W for actually boiling the water.

In mode 3 this leaves 800 W - 476 W = 324 W for actually boiling the water.

In mode 2 we have a boiling rate of (214 J/s)/(2260 J/gm) = 0.095 gm/s.

In mode 3 we have a boiling rate of (324 J/s)/(2260 J/gm) = 0.143 gm/s.

In mode 2, at equilibrium, we have a water percolation/overflow rate R:

   R = 1.94 gm/s - 0.095 gm/s = 1.85 gm/s

In mode 3, at equilibrium, we have a water percolation/overflow rate R:

   R = 1.39 gm/s - 0.14 gm/s = 1.25 gm/s

In mode 3 it will take longer for the copper device to fill with water, i.e. come to equilibrium. However, since mode 3 creates about 50% more steam, the percolator effect, vs a simple overflow effect, should be more apparent.

Note that if the power were reduced the *apparent* power and COP of the device would grow larger, if the false assumption is made that all the water is converted to steam. The controller in the Rossi device can only reduce power supplied to the device, not increase it, assuming no power storage in the device. The input power was measured as constant. If the controller maintains a constant power demand, the excess power not fed to the E-cat would have to be fed to resistors in the controller itself. It is notable that 4 muffin fans were shown in the E-cat. If the controller periodically reduces power to the E-cat, this then *increases* the apparent power of the device dramatically, by resulting in water being pumped out of the E- cat and down the hose. Demonstrating steam production is obviously best accomplished when maximum power is supplied to boiling water in the E-cat. To perpetrate a fraud using a device like the one demonstrated by Rick Cantwell, but using a controller, an operator would have to know when maximum power were being supplied by the controller, perhaps by sound, or have to have a manual switch to change modes. This is not to say Rossi has done this. He may have a legitimate nuclear device. However, this clearly demonstrates that nothing has been proven unless calorimetry is performed on the output which measures a full run enthalpy balance.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/