Hi Joe,

I found an error in my calculation of the critical temperature, the temperature at which all energy merely goes into heating the water to 100°C, with none left to produce steam. You will probably like the improvements. I have reposted:

http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/RossiThermal.pdf
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/RossiThermal2.pdf
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/DecayCurve1.pdf

The old formula for Critical Temp. was:

   (Critical Temp.) = (Thermal Resistance) * (Water Heating) +100

The current formula for Critical Temp. is:

(Critical Temp.) = (Water Heating)*(Thermal Resistance)+(Inlet Temp.)

I also added a "Thermal Power" column to the decay curve data to show the thermal power applied to the water as the temperature decays. Note that at the critical temperature Tcrit in the decay curve the power applied to the water is equal to that required to heat it to 100°C, namely 268.3 W. This is also the critical time 23.73 minutes.

Note especially in RossiThermal2.pdf, in Mode 2, that a mass of between 5 and 10 kg, at initial Mass Temp. of 300*C, provides a 15 minute thermal decline curve with no nuclear energy involved. However, the flow rate used is that suggested by Mattia Rizzi, 3 liters per second, not 7 liters per second.

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/