The large mufti-national companies are not where new jobs come from. These
companies will usually spread any increase in their work forces throughout
the world with only a small fraction allocated to the US. So government
incentives that are targeted to advantage this corporate category is not
productive or cost effective.

The engine that truly drives the growth of jobs in the US economy is
innovation and its handmaiden, new small company establishment and growth.

The underfunding of the US patent system during the last decade has nearly
crippled commercialization of new ideas in the US which in tern has led to a
increasing erosion of the US jobs base.
This last Thursday, the House of representatives voted to rewrite the
60-year-old patent law to give inventors a better shot of obtaining patents
in a timely manner and bringing the U.S. patent system in line with those of
other industrialized nations.

The legislation also takes steps to help the underfunded U.S. Patent and
Trademark Office deal with a backlog that forces inventors to wait three
years to get a decision on patent applications and has swamped the agency
with some 1.2 million pending applications.

Another drag on innovation and associated American prosperity is the
restrictions placed on immigration that have been set in place since the
9/11 attack. The worlds best and brightest have been largely excluded from
setting up new companies that would exploit their innovative ideas.

During the Clinton administration, new small company formation mostly in the
high tech and internet areas was instrumental in the production of
20,000,000 jobs. The anti-innovation policies set in place by government
during the 2000's was one cause in a great reduction in the formation of
small companies and the jobs that spring from them.

Easing the patent process is one big step that will help the jobs problem in
the US.