>From Jed:

>> On a related topic I have also been under the impression
>> that Rossi was NOT planning on producing steam as the final
>> output product - only hot water below the temperature of 100 C.

> That is what he said months ago. Evidently he changed his mind.
>
> It would be rather challenging to test a hot water heater at that
> power level. You need a large flow of water; much more than the
> water mains in an ordinary office can deliver. You need something
> like a fire hydrant flow.

This does not bode well from my POV. Granted it is conceivable that
Rossi DOES have access to a fire hydrant's worth of flowing water, and
running that much water through his prototype is what he intends to do
- but I suspect not.

It is also conceivable that Rossi was originally going to do just that
- until perhaps one of his engineers sat Rossi down and ran the
numbers for him.

Engineer: "It's impossible, Rossi! We don't have access to that much
water flow". Water pressure will drop to zero for the rest of the
town. ;-)
Rossi: "Merda! Then steam it will be!"
Engineer: "But...!"
Rossi: "...Trust me! The eCat encasings can take the pressure. I know
what I'm going!"

Or whatever...

The above conversation is, of course, pure conjecture on my part.
Nevertheless, what seems to concern a number of individuals is the
fact that the eCat's external configuration does not appear to be
designed in a manner that would adequately confine high pressure. Any
kind of gas contained under high levels of pressure are typically held
within thick metal encased spheres or cylindrically shaped tanks
precisely because such shapes are the safest practical configurations
known to man. Nothing of the sort seems to have been incorporated into
Rossi's eCats, and to be honest that astonishes me. Rossi's eCats are
boxy - rectangular in shape. It suggests to me that Rossi had not
originally intended to run the current eCat configuration in a manner
that would produce a lot of internal steam that would subsequently be
held under pressure.

But then, perhaps that's the point: Rossi still does not intend to
maintain (or deliberately contain) high level of steam under pressure.
Perhaps Rossi intends that as the steam is generated and as the steam
invariably begins to expand it will immediately exit through the
output pipe quickly and efficiently. If so, what remains to be seen is
whether the current "pluming" configuration will be up to the job of
making sure no high levels of internal pressure are generated. I hope
nobody steps on a hose... or a pipe doesn't get accidently crinkled
somewhere.

In any case, choosing a boxy rectangular shape has to have introduced
the potential of generating horrible stress points. Seems to me that
if high pressure steam does get generated these boxy eCat
configurations are potential disaster waiting to happen. I hope I'm
wrong.

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com