On 11-10-21 02:37 PM, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Here is a containership engine:

http://www.emma-maersk.com/engine/Wartsila_Sulzer_RTA96-C.htm

Very cool!

It appears to be an internal combustion engine, which seems bizarre. I thought super high scale power was all generated with external combustion, and some variant on a steam engine (turbine or piston) to convert the heat to torque. OTOH getting 50% efficiency out of any kind of heat engine is pretty darn good.

The name sounds vaguely Polish to me, but the lettering on the wall in what I guess is the factory looks Korean. Any idea where the beast is actually made?

My second analogy is somewhat more realistic. In fact, poor nations with lots of open grassland, bad roads, and low population still do use horses. You see this in South America and Mongolia for example. They use automobiles too, of course.