On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Joshua Cude <joshua.c...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 10:12 AM, James Bowery <jabow...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> OK, I've now conceived of how the temperature is stabilized without
>> feedback control, and it doesn't require anything like mixed phase flow.
>> All it requires is pressure in the reaction vessel high enough to keep the
>> liquid flow at the boiling point (for that pressure) and transport away all
>> the power within the heat of latent heat provided by the nearly
>> discontinuous rise in effective specific heat of water at the boiling point.
>>

> Again, I don't follow. That sounds like a mixture of phases. The specific
> heat of water decreases at the boiling point. The specific heat of steam is
> about half that of liquid water, but it's more the heat transfer
> coefficient that is relevant there. If you're talking about the specific
> heat of liquid, it does not change discontinuously anywhere.

My use of the qualifier "effective specific heat" could be replaced by
"effective mass flow rate" -- the point is to project the effect of latent
heat of vaporization into another dimension to illustrate its temperature
control effect.  I do not, of course, mean either the specific heat or mass
flow rate change.

>> The water pump pressure feeding the E-Cat could be very high relative to
>> atmospheric pressure, and the pressure drop at the exit from the E-Cat
>> could be quite substantial prior to the thermocouple, resulting in a dry --
>> even superheated -- steam.
>>

> No, it would not convert from liquid to dry steam unless the temperature
> of the liquid water was over 600C, and that would require implausible
> pressures.

That's true if there is no latent heat of vaporization represented in the
liquid water.  With careful setting of the water flow rate, one can
approach vaporization within the reactor vessel without any actual
vaporization.  THAT is the critical parameter here.  Indeed, for effective
heat transfer, you don't want ANY vaporization as the heat transfer drops
off precipitously as soon as you start forming surface bubbles.  For Rossi
to allow bubbles to form on the heat transfer surface would be dangerous if
the reaction rate was indeed proportional to temperature as he says.  Did
Rossi carefully tweak his resistive heating sustained system so that he
achieved, say, 200C inside the reaction vessel with a liquid water flow
very close to, but not achieving vaporization?  At this point, until
convinced otherwise, I'm not willing to dispense with any further
investigations on the speculation that he could not have done so.

>> So my originally post problem of estimating the pressure at the output
>> thermocouple still stands as critical in invalidating the Oct 28
>> demonstration.
>>

> You'll have to explain it again for those of us with shit for brains,
> because it doesn't make sense to me. I don't see how you've countered the
> very simple claim that the well regulated temperature corresponds to a 1%
> regulation in power, unless there is a mixture of phases.

Where did I call you "shit for brains"?