Mary Yugo's recent cogent comments re blank runs are here replicated for
emphasis:

You keep saying that but it's not correct.
The purpose of controls (more precisely, blank runs in which nuclear fuel
is left out but an electrical heater is providing comparable power) is to
demonstrate that the measurement *method* and *devices* are working
correctly.
This has been argued at length -- steam or no steam, thermocouple
placements, errors from the hot side of the heat exchanger through the
block, and so on.
ALL of that is gone if a blank test with an electrical heater gives the
correct result at the output measurement end.
Rossi knows that -- he's been told many times by probably dozens of people.
That he doesn't do it is a strong suggestion that his reaction isn't real.

The purpose of a blank/calibration run, I say *again*, is to validate the
measuring method and equipment.
I know of no other iron clad way to do that.
Without it, arguments about dryness of steam and thermocouple placement and
pressure and endless others will continue.
With a proper blank/calibration (if it's done correctly) all those
arguments are untenable.
It's ABSOLUTELY necessary.
Any self respecting scientist would require it.
I have no idea why you can't grasp that.
It's usual and standard to calibrate calorimeters with electrical heaters.
It's done every day!

I need to add that a calibration run with an electrical heater supplying