On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Stephen A. Lawrence <sa...@pobox.com>wrote:

> **
>

> On 11-11-16 05:32 PM, Mary Yugo wrote:
>

> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Stephen A. Lawrence <sa...@pobox.com>wrote:
>
>> There are actually some technical difficulties with a "blank run" in the
>> Rossi E-cat.
>>
>> Wet cold fusion researchers sometimes have used H2O in a "blank" run, and
>> compared evolved heat using D2O with the blank output.  If the D2O produces
>> a heat measurement value higher than the H2O then they can conclude, with
>> good certainty, that something interesting happened.  That sort of yes/no
>> blank comparison run is harder to arrange for the E-Cat.
>>
>> The trouble is that H2(gas)+Ni(powder) reacts exothermically, as the
>> hydrogen is adsorbed onto the nickel.  This means that a blank run using,
>> say, nitrogen in place of hydrogen can be expected to produce *less*
>> *measured* *heat* than the H2 run, even if there's no new chemistry or
>> physics taking place in the "loaded" E-Cat.  And that leaves you right back
>> where you started, trying to do precise calorimetry on the "loaded" run to
>> determine exactly how much "excess heat" was produced, and comparing it
>> with a theoretical value for heat of adsorption.
>>

> I don't really see an exothermic reaction with hydrogen as a problem.  The
> error would be in favor of Rossi and I am happy to accept it if (and only
> if) he runs so long that it's accounted for...
>

> Oh get real.  You just made my point -- the blank and non-blank runs must
> run "long enough" so the excess due to adsorption "is accounted for" -- as
> I said, we're right back to square 1, arguing over the calorimetry.
>
> As I said, it's not a yes/no test -- yes, the signature is higher than the
> blank, or no, it's not.

You have a point, but 2 things: (1) The blank run will also serve as a
calibration, so it will be easier to quantify the excess in the non-blank
run. (2) The amount of excess due to the added hydrogen will be much less
than the amount that has to be considered from hidden fuel inside a 100 kg
device. So, it's not just which is higher, but it would still be easier to
read.