Am 19.11.2011 23:58, schrieb Alan Fletcher:
In small bubbles or small drops, surface tension is dominant.
This is true.
There is an interesting early scientific work about water electricity from the physicist Lenard who later got the nobel price. He points out that evaporating water is electrically charged. Therefore the droplet is positive charged and the vapor is negative charged. This makes rather strong electrostatic forces in the droplet and is the reason for negative air ions observed in nature at waterfalls. If a droplet becomes to small the repelling electrostatic forces make it explode.

So, in microscopic areals and with purified (nonconductive) condensed water there can be indeed anomal behaviour of water and vapour , maybe this is what this professor has observed. It is however not observed with ordinary boilers.

Pressure changes, so the PVT equilibrium can be different.

I have a link somewhere for this .... I'm not sure if I put in my tube boiler
analysis.
And for the life of me, I can't remember if small drops grow or shrink in a
particular PT environment. (There's a named formula).