IMHO  if Rossi did indeed discover/create a new catalyst then he has new
art and it would be patent-able.  I think this is part of Rossi's
misdirection and why Defkalion has little to fear; either the catalyst is
nothing new or Rossi;s ownership is in question.

If this is the case I feel for Rossi in that he has opened the door but
might not be able to go through it.