Piantelli has worked with Ni powder, it is written in his 1995 patent
and this is the main reason Rossi's patent is not approved.
His process and work strategy is even better described in his 2010 patent.

The most probable scenario is this: Rossi has found an additive
that enhances the Ni-H reaction used by Piantelli. Working empirically,
Rossi has problems with the control and the continuity of the generators.
He was unable to make the E-cat to work continuously for 48 hours and DGT
has not paid him, this was probably something stipulated in the contract.
Divorce....DGT recognizes the merits of Rossi, however has prefered to
develop alone the generators using good enegineers and systematic work, not
tinkering.
My guess is that the additive pompously called catalyst is not so special
and not so secret. It's probable function was already discussed at this
Forum, many months ago. With some effort you can find good candidates for
the stuff. Not  a secret of Polichinelle but not deep mystery. The
frequency generator is an extra indication for the solution. And the Greek
company has first class professionals.

--
Dr. Peter Gluck
Cluj, Romania