I wrote:

> Where does the patent office claim that, pls?
>>

> I wouldn't know. Good luck finding it in their rules. Anyway, that's what
> they told Jim Patterson. Maybe they changed the rule subsequently.

Ah ha. Here's something about it:

"If the applicant is more than 65 years of age  or in a state of health
such that they might not be available to assist in prosecution of the
application under the normal examination procedures, a Petition to Make
Special may be filed without a fee."

http://www.sughrue.com/files/Publication/7280eb69-3ced-4d49-abb1-a382404eac6f/Presentation/PublicationAttachment/c0429f1e-6ea2-4898-887c-a3c2f72a0bdb/SRmakespecialOct04.pdf

I gather Patterson also faked them out by hiding the nature of his
discovery. Not mentioning cold fusion, or something like that. I do not
know the details. He was a clever fellow. Maybe too clever.