Here is a search of uspto.gov for "cold fusion":

http://goo.gl/groRG

I think this hit indicates that the formal stance is that despite it being
"incredible" technology, "cold fusion" should be evaluated on the basis of
"utility":

Examples of such cases include: ... a "cold fusion" process for producing
energy (In re Swartz, 232 F.3d 862, 56 USPQ2d 1703, (Fed. Cir. 2000))....
These examples are fact specific and should not be applied as a per se
rule. Thus, in view of the rare nature of such cases, Office personnel
should not label an asserted utility "incredible," "speculative" or
otherwise unless it is clear that a rejection based on "lack of utility" is
proper.

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mpep/documents/2100_2107_01.htm

However, there clearly _is_ a perception among intellectual property
counsel that the USPTO does treat inventions labeled "cold fusion" with a
"jaundiced eye".  This, alone, is sufficient to justify an executive to
treat the lawfulness of the USPTO with caution and, in cases where what is
at stake simply cannot be adequately insured against even the small risk of
lawlessness by a government organ in a critical jurisdiction such as the
United States, the prudent course of action would be to build a case
outside of that jurisdiction with minimum risk exposure given that a patent
is not a safe option.  Remember, a CEO is answerable to stockholders, not
to Mary Yugo.

See, for example:
"Under the current approach to defining practical utility and operability,
the USPTO appears to have approached the majority of biotechnology cases
with the same jaundiced eye that it casts on perpetual motion machines or
cold fusion inventions."

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/com/hearings/biotech/bioind.html

And this:

COMMISSIONER LEHMAN:  Thank you very much.

Next I'd like to call Micheal Farber of Merchant and Gould. //

MICHEAL FARBER, MERCHANT and GOULD

MR. FARBER:  Thank you, Commission Lehman and panelists.

My name is Micheal B. Farber and I'm a patent attorney with Merchant and
Gould, in Los Angeles.  We are a full-service intellectual property firm,
and our biotechnology clients include small start-ups, large Fortune 500
multinational corporations, non-profit research institutions and
universities in a broad range of biotechnology areas.  I would like to
address several issues, particularly with respect to enablement and
nonobviousness and the level of ordinary skill in the art.

I think with respect to enablement, which also ties in to some extent
with utility, there has been a perceived lack of credibility for
biotechnology which has almost put it into the same weird science
standard as perpetual motion or cold fusion, and I don't think this is
appropriate.