I was curious about JC's claims about the temperature profile during
the warm-up period.  Since no one seems to be doing that (or did I
miss something?) I have started analyzing the Oct.  28th temperature
data in more detail.

I believe the data shows that initially the reactors are off, contain
water and the pumps are off.  The reactors are then turned on and
their power increases linearly to ~475 kW.  Thus temperature increases
quadratically, until water starts to boil.  A couple of liters boil
off from each of the e-Cats, causing a rise in temperature (and
pressure?).  THEN pumps are turned on, causing an inrush of warm water
into the reservoir and a corresponding increase in T_in.  Stable
regime follows.  Peak power would be about 490 kW.

Power profile : http://imgur.com/iUgJp.png
Input temperature : http://imgur.com/PC7P7.png
Output temperature : http://imgur.com/qQu0v.png

SCENARIO, version 1 (caveat emptor)

- At 10:36:07, e-Cats contain approximately 13.5 l of water each at
  28.9 C.  Pumps are off, reactors are off.  The system is in thermal
  equilibrium.    From now on, we assume that the output thermocouple
  temperature T_out reflects the temperature of the water/steam
  mixture in the reactors.

- At 11:00:04, the reactors are turned on.

- The 13.5 l of water they each contain start heating up.

- The power level of the reactors rises linearly at a rate of 160 W /
  s.  This can be deduced from the profile of the warm-up period,
  which is a quadratic function of time to a very good agreement:

    T_out = 20.37 + 1.423e-6 * t^2

  where t is the time in seconds, and T_out is in degrees Celsius.

- At 12:34:40 the water in the reactors reaches 100 degrees and starts
  boiling.

- The reactors reach their peak power (492 kW or less) around
  13:22:50.

- From 12:34:40 to 13:22:50 about 631 l (2 l per module) of water has
  been boiled off the reactors.

- At that moment, the pumps are turned on, causing water to flow at a
  rate of 675.6 l/h.

  This can be deduced from two facts.

   (1) The temperature of the water in the reservoir starts increasing
   linearly from 16.9 at 13:22:50 to 19.6 at 13:56:10 as 375 l of warm
   water is pumped back, according to

     T_in = 16.9 - 0.001351 * t

   where t is in seconds starting from 13:22:50.

   (2) The output temperature starts decreasing at the same time, as
   fresh water is pumped in.

   (3) Referring to my Nov. 24th post titled "E-Cat 1MW Demo Water
   Clog Theory", but counting both reservoirs as 2/3 full for a mass
   of m = 1200 l, we find that the average temperature of the water
   flowing back must be

       T_c = m (T_2 - T_1) / m_c + T_2 = 28.24 C

   which is quite close to the initial temperature.

- Stable operation is attained at 13:56:10, with an average output
  temperature of 105.2 ± 1 C.  Mean power is 461.4 ± 30 kW.

  Total energy produced from 13:56:10 is 8.55 GJ or 2 375 000 kWh.

Notes.

1.  This scenario doesn't take pressure into account.  Because there
was no pump after the condenser, a pressure increase of 0.5 to 1 m of
water (about 50 to 100 kPa) can be expected.  This may raise boiling
temperatures by a couple of degrees.

  Also, pressure increases related to possible water clogs were not
  taken into account.

2.  About the power profile.

  When boiling water, power transfer depends strongly and in a
  non-linear fashion on the temperature difference.  This hasn't been
  taken into account.  The formula used was :

          heating_power= ((min(T_out, T_boil) - T_in) * c_p_water +
          h_fg(T_out - T_boil) + max(0, T_out - T_boil) * c_p_steam)

  As you can see, this is only a class C^0 function in T_out: its
  derivative is discontinuous at T_boil.

3. Do not take these at face value.  I am not familiar with
thermodynamics.  It would be nice if that kind of analysis was
performed by a properly qualified and experienced person.

--
Berke Durak