On 30 November 2011 06:10, Berke Durak <berke.du...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So far I haven't found anything significantly wrong with the 1 MW
> demo.  Also I still don't understand your "instantaneous power
> transfer discontinuity" argument.

It's pretty simple: you have a large quantity of water - about
180grams per second entering the ecats, that water is being heated by
the heat source within the e-cats to match the rest of the water
already in the e-cats, and before the onset of boiling that requires
about 70kW.  But then according to Rossi just as the boiling starts "a
miracle occurs" and the power output somehow rises instantaneously to
about 470kW to convert all the water entering the e-cats into steam.

It is pretty obvious that this cannot happen.  The water level in the
e-cats is about the same just after the start of boiling as it was
just before so heat transfer from the e-cats to the water won't be
able to suddenly increase by 7 times - that would require a massive
instantaneous increase in the metal temperature to compensate for the
extra heat energy being sucked out of the ecats by steam production.
There is no way that this could happen in reality without turning on
massive 450kW electric heater immersed in the water just as it hit
boiling point.  As an analogy think of driving a truck along at 20mph,
when you accelerate you don't instantaneously hit 60mph, it takes a
long time to build up speed due to inertia (kinetic in this analogy,
thermal for the ecat).

The simple, sensible and physically possible explanation that matches
the data provided is that the power output ramps up slowly (at some
unknown rate) with the water level in the ecats rising.  After the
onset of boiling some increasing portion of the inflow is being turned
into steam with the water level either still rising or perhaps as
Joshua suggests overflowing the ecats into the outlet pipe.

I also think it quite likely that the water trap is ineffective as:
1/ The water trap did have its valve closed at some point during the
demo (why??).
2/ Above about 10m/s of steam flow the water will start to be lifted
off the pipe and turned into a spray (like strong wind over the sea),
and the steam was probably flowing much faster than this.  This effect
will also spread out the flow into a thin film layer all around the
circumference of the pipe, as water is always whipped off the thickest
part of the flow first owing to the effects of viscosity this
eliminates the expected water stream in the bottom of the pipe, and is
something I have seen frequently with oil entrainment in clear
crankcase blow-by hoses during IC engine testing.
3/ There might have been slight obstructions at the water trap
entrance that would prevent fast flowing water from entering.  For
example drill burrs from construction, small upstream ramp from
welding or braizing, or the water trap pipe might have penetrated the
main pipe slightly.  Small things like that would prevent a fast
flowing <170g/s film of water being whipped along the pipe at high
speed by steam flow, from entering the water trap tube.  Also that
water flow would be at most a mm thick and would be travelling at at
least a few m/s so could very well fly straight over a hole or be
diverted around it by other minor obstructions.

So basically I think Joshua is right, though I think it unlikely that
it is a scam, I do think that the power output was somewhere in the
70-470kW range, with no way of knowing exactly what.