 From: Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:34 PM
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Congress cuts the Gordian knot of aviation patents in 1917

Craig Haynie <cchayniepub...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 16:01 -0500, Jed Rothwell wrote:

>> Someone here suggested that the best solution to this problem would be
>> for governments to throw a large pile of money that everyone involved
>> in the initial development of cold fusion. I think that would probably
>> be a good idea.

I hope that Fleischmann and Pons get a large chunk of
>> it. Rossi deserves a lot too. Many people do.
>
>When we start talking about morality, I feel a need to step in...
>
>It's not good to take money from people who do not want to give it up, even if
>someone has a 'noble' way in which to use it. If you are I did this, it would
>be called theft.

I do not understand this argument. Fleischmann, Pons, Rossi and many others
have intellectual property rights. They invented cold fusion. They deserve a
patent just like any other inventors. History and circumstances probably will
deny them this patent, so they deserve compensation.

This problem was primarily caused by the Patent Office, but many other
institutions such as the Department of Energy and the Washington Post
contributed to the morass. Blame cannot be assigned to any single person or
institution. Rather than argue about this for years and rather than spend
hundreds of millions of dollars on legal fees, it would make sense to sweep
aside the arguments, give people what they deserve, and proceed with industrial
production of cold fusion devices.

The total amount of royalties paid will be trivial compared to the benefits to
society. Cold fusion is likely save billions of dollars every day worldwide,
and 50,000 lives per week. Paying a few billion dollars to Fleischmann, Pons,
Rossi and others would be trivial fraction of this.

And to take money from people to give to those working in one of the largest
pent-up markets in history,  is just adding insult to injury.

I am not talking about getting anyone to people who be working on cold fusion
in the near future. They will learn plenty from the market. I'm talking about
diverting a tiny fraction of this to pay  the people who invented the
technology. Normally they would be granted a patent a paid by that mechanism.

Fleischmann is not working on anything. He is old and suffering from a fatal
disease. He got nothing for his efforts in cold fusion. Neither did any of the
other pioneers. They are mostly old or dead. All they got was 22 years of grief
and opprobrium. These people or their survivors deserve something.