On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Robert Leguillon <
robert.leguil...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> The steam experts were right in the INITIAL steam discussions.  I agree
> with you. But they were being asked about steam quality, not water
> "overflow."
> Krivit raised his questions on steam quality which were, more than likely,
> bullshit.  Steam quality and "entrained droplets" were totally unnecessary
> and confused a valid issue.

While I agree with your fundamental point, that the data do not show that
more than a small fraction of the water was vaporized, I think the picture
you show cannot represent reality, and that the idea of steam quality and
mist and entrained drops is relevant to what was observed at the end of the
hose, and in particular, why Lewan only collected about half the liquid
that went in.

The reason that picture is wrong is because the steam is formed in the
ecat, not at the water surface. Then it has to bubble through the water. It
takes only 1% vaporization (by mass) to produce 94% gas by volume. So, you
would not see the chimney full of quiet water like that. The chimney would
be mostly gas, and the turbulence would produce a lot of droplets that
would be carried into the hose by the fast moving steam.

Depending on the actual geometry of the chimney, the water might be forced
up the walls into the hose (a kind of annular flow). Or Rossi might use a
nozzle to promote the formation of mist. That way, much of the water could
disappear into the air as a mist at the end of the hose. And that could
easily explain why Lewan collected only half the liquid, even if only a few
per cent was actually vaporized.