Am 08.12.2011 20:19, schrieb Jed Rothwell:
Mary Yugo<maryyu...@gmail.com>  wrote:

Jed's well intentioned experiments won't help either unless he gets
himself a heat exchanger or properly simulates it with a nice heavy
steam-heated copper . . .

My tests were rudimentary. But in my opinion, they helped a hell a lot more
than weeks and weeks of blabbing, handwaving, and empty speculation. For
example, people here imagine that trapped air under the insulation might
have a measurable effect on a thermocouple. That is nonsense. I knew it was
nonsense. I have now demonstrated it is nonsense.
Yes this is nonsense, if the thermoelement is in close thermal contact to the metal. If there is an air gap of 0.1mm between metal and thermoelement, then it is not nonsense.
If the thermoelement is electrically isolated, then it is also not nonsense.

Dont you see that Rossis arrangement was horrible and disqualifies him and Levi and Focardi to do such measurements?
Everybody who defends this is in danger to disqualify himself.

There was a heck of a lot more trapped air with the foam pipe insulation I
used than there would be with Rossi's black tape, but it still did not make
any measurable difference.

Frankly, I have no doubt Houkes is right and the rest of you do not know
what you are talking about.
He is right only if his wellmeaning assumptions are all true.

Peter