Am 08.12.2011 20:53, schrieb Jed Rothwell:
Peter Heckert<peter.heck...@arcor.de>  wrote:

If there is an air gap of 0.1mm between metal and thermoelement, then it is
not nonsense.

I doubt that. I would like to see you prove it. I do not think this would
cause even a 0.1°C difference.

Can you suggest a way to deliberately introduce such a small gap? Perhaps
with a thin piece of paper instead of an air gap?
A thin piece of plastics. This is also good for electrical isolation.
Of course this will have no effect, if there is not another heatsource nearby and if the thermoelement is covered with thermosisolation.

Dont you see that Rossis arrangement was horrible and disqualifies him and
Levi and Focardi to do such measurements?

No, I do not. I have measured temperatures on pipes several times. As far
as I know, this method works fine. Actually Rossi did a better job than
most people do.

Your other assertions about bubbles of air in the pipe are untrue. The
metal of a steel or copper pipe averages out the temperature quite nicely.
Yes, this is true. And if there is another heat source nearby, the pipe will average this also ;-)

Miles and others showed this with a copper sheathed calorimeter with an air
space at the top and thermal gradients inside. Probably braided pipe does
not work as well.
I expect that Miles and others had installed the thermoelement in an equilibrium place without heatgradient as required.
This is correct.
Dont forget, there was another heat source (the steam input) nearby. Thermoelements must be installed in an area where a thermal equilibrium can be expected.

If you are so sure this was "horrible" I suggest you do a test and prove
it. Even a rudimentary test such as the one I did shows it is not horrible.
Rossi's methods were much better than mine.