I'm pretty sure they are both temperatures. Heater temp (red) and
reactor temp (blue) is my guess.
The heater is in the 100C range, the other in the 400C range.

The spikes are a puzzle though... Maybe transient interference from
turning on or off the heater? It doesn't seem possible for the tip of
a thermocouple probe to lose 150 degrees C in an instant. But I
suppose if the heater is concentrated or cooled by something, it is
possible.

While red might be something besides temp, it turns out measuring AC
voltage from a variac is not cheap/easy to do with data acquisition
boards... and there would be a much bigger lag between turning the
dial and getting a heat change. If they are like me, they leave the
variac at some voltage and just turn it on or off with a solid state
relay or thermostat controller.

- Brad